Chapter 7: Past Becomes Present☽

Her eyes were closed.

She was too afraid to open them to the reality that stood behind her. The stinging of the glass cut against her skin and the coolness from the outdoors gave her an uncomfortable chill. She just sat there, eyes shut pacing her breaths....What had just happened? Did someone shoot through the win—no. NO. I don't want to think about it. The more she did, the more her head ached.

"Prinkipíssa Accalia, is everything alright?" Professor Gallo asked, anxiously.

She opened her eyes to find him and the whole rest of the class wide-eyed, their mouths hung open, just in complete utter shock at what has happened. She dared to look at the scene behind her to find the window completely shattered, with the exception of a few shards still connected. The remaining pieces were smashed onto the floor, right behind her backside. She looked forward again to still find everyone frozen still like icicles, as if they couldn't function unless they got an answer from her. She looked diagonal to find, well what do you know, blonde chick and her friends (including Alec) silently laughing to themselves at her presence. She batted her lashes and flipped her long, platinum hair at him.

Accalia just gazed out in front of her and then finally managed to control herself to speak to the teacher. "Yes—yes, I-I-I'm fine. Th-Thank you." She tried to steadily speak, but her words stuttered out shaking in fear and shock. Everyone looked at her like she was speaking in some strange alien tongue. She could feel her eyes get cool and glassy.

Was that bullet intended for me? Was I almost....shot?

Professor Gallo let out a sigh of relief to see that she herself was able to function. He reached for her hand to assist her. She accepted his assistance to finally stand up. She looked like a newborn taking it's first steps. He motioned her to follow him to his desk in the front of the room. She worriedly looked back at Milly as she went, fear in her eyes. Milly's green eyes glared and face grew red with caution, the color as bright red as the fresh warm blood of Accalia's wounds. He seated Accalia on a chair next to his desk. The whole class was silent for a moment, but he eventually got up to speak to the class.

"I think it would be best to dismiss this class early," you could hear students simultaneously say "yes" at the sound of this, "before I dismiss you I'd like to say something." The whole class looked as if they were to groan, but after what just happened, I think they thought it was best to keep quiet and listen for once.

He began to pace in circles, tapping his papers consistently with pencil in hand. "What just happened was indeed frightening. I guess the word of the return of the Prinkipíssa got out quite faster than we expected. But may I remind you we are in a dark time: the reconstruction from The Great Thánatos. Riots and surprise attacks," he gazed at the scene before him and back at Accalia, "are sure to happen. But we all must prepare ourselves and just—get used to it. Get over ourselves. We can't let these things shock us everyday. That's what they want. Now, I wish you a good day free of homework. Please stay safe. I suggest none of you leave the castle grounds today."

Most eyes of the room immediately stuck to Accalia. She actually had the nerve to slightly wave and roll her eyes.

What? It's my fault all of this is happening? Well yeah now that I think of it....maybe...

Everyone started to pack their things and put on their cloaks, (I guess they are a thing?) and had begun to scurry out the door. Some were excited about the idea of no homework, others still shocked at what had just happened. And some excited about lunch, of course. Accalia just laughed painfully as she waited for Milly to be done packing her things.

"Accalia if you would, I would like to speak to you in private please."

Those words spoken froze her entire body, jumbling her thoughts around her head. Chills dispersed throughout her as she stood there silent.