Chapter 4: The Arrival ☽

Abruptly, I felt my eyes open. A vigorous throbbing in the head pounded. I rubbed my temples relentlessly, eyes watering. Luckily, this pain faded away in a matter of seconds.

"Are you alright, Prinkipíssa?" Ivan asked. His bewildered eyes were wide open and his face was dead still.

I pressed on my forehead. "Yes I'm fine now.....What happened?"

"You don't remember anything?"

"Nothing. It feels like I passed out for hours."

His forehead crinkled as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He expressed concern, but in a weird way. It was like he didn't care for me emotionally, but rather as an object.

"That's strange....you must be very sensitive to traveling by portal. Don't worry; it can be normal when not executed habitually (especially since you've been treating yourself like a human for years). I'm used to it. Come on, the sooner we get in the better."

I was trying to get used to his polite manner, but that's going to be a while. I couldn't help but to feel a bit off. Why was he confused of my symptoms if he knew they can arise if you don't travel frequently? "You're lying."

"Excuse me?"

"Why are you lying to me. Why is what I'm experiencing so odd? How am I supposed to trust you when all you say are lies?"

He froze for a moment, thinking of something to say. His face still contained the emotionless look it always did.

The conversation was interrupted by the scenery before us. The first thing that latched onto my eye was the sky; darkness invaded the atmosphere appearing gloomy and dull. It appeared to be right before sundown; a twilight sky overtaking the air. Enclosing us in were thousands of trees stretching for miles. We persisted walking until we reached a maroon basket weaved brick floor. The air was quite chill, but not sufficient enough to be considered cold.

Ivan stopped, his blank face looking at me slowly.

They carried forward along the path until they approached a wood sign: Town of Emelonia. As they moved along, out of nowhere, a gigantic gallows protruded to them right in the center of town. The noose hung there forbearingly waiting for its next victim to suffocate to an agonizing death. As they walked passed it, Em sensed a pulse of foul, viscous violence race throughout her.

Surrounding them were many houses, barns sheds, and old looking buildings, each conveying a medieval feel. Smoke rose from each house chimney. Beaming light emitted from several of them. Basically all cottages had animal pens suffused with pigs, sheep, cows, hens, and.....cats? No wait, was it a dog?

It was black with a fierce cat face—almost like a panther. Except its face was more petite; it was more like the one of a cat. It had a nose of a dog's, and its ears were pointed, flattened, and faced downwards. It had another set of prolonged ears that reached the bottom of its torso. This displayed the illusion of a rabbit. Its torso was rather small, but it had long slender legs. It had a furry tail almost like a fox's, with a slight curl. You wouldn't even know it was present if it didn't have its powerful, purple, glowing thin eyes. The strange animal growled as its many—hundreds even—sharp teeth grinded together. Em cringed and walked away.

"What was th—"

"Those beasts are Mageia, from the Greek word μαγεία. Vicious in the wild, but when tamed are useful for their blood in brewery, and riding if you don't take offense to having a rough time being launched off consistently."