The Aftermath : The End

It's been a little over a month since I was stuck for 12 hours in an elevator with Jamie Benn in Buffalo. I have not been on an elevator since. I use the stairs when needed. It's not like it was a terrible experience, but that's only because I was with Jamie. I have been busy working on my next book. Jamie and I haven't talked since the morning we got off of the elevator. He's busy with hockey and I'm busy with writing. I didn't think we were going to leave the elevator being best friends or anything like that anyway. This is the realistic result of what happened. We have both gone back to our normal lives.

Today isn't a normal day, not for me anyway. TSN, which is basically the Canadian version of ESPN, contacted me about doing an interview and at first I turned it down. I didn't want to exploit what happened and honestly I don't really feel like there is anything to really talk about. What happened in that elevator beyond what I tweeted in the moment is meant to stay between me and Jamie. The only reason why I agreed to do this interview is because they told me Jamie wanted me there. I could understand the appeal to a certain extent. My tweets about what was going on were and still are extremely popular. I think #elevatorwithbenn was trending in the United States at one point. It was exciting in the moment but I am not sure how well that will translate to an interview. I am here, though, because Jamie wanted me to be so that's good enough for me.

I pull up to the Wells Fargo Center and park. The Stars just had morning skate and our interview is scheduled to be just a little after morning skate after the players go through their usual media routine. I am nervous because I don't know what to expect and I haven't really been interviewed before. Not on a scale like this. I've been interviewed by local papers here and there about my writing but nothing like this, especially not TV. TSN chose Philadelphia since it's closest to me locally and I was going to be going to the game tonight anyway so I would have been in the area eventually. After morning skate at the arena was the time the Stars allowed for Jamie to be available so that is why I am here. I follow the instructions TSN emailed to me and make my way to security to get escorted to the visitor's locker room, which is where the interview will be taking place.

The interview is going to be done with Cabbie from TSN. I am somewhat familiar with him only because I have watched some videos of him on YouTube. He is not your usual host. What I mean by that is he doesn't take anything seriously. He is very funny, known for his humor and his over the top way of interviewing athletes. He is definitely my kind of interviewer because I tend to think we have the same sense of humor. That doesn't mean I am not completely intimidated by this whole thing. What if we are there just to get made fun of? I don't know if I can handle that. I just have to keep reminding myself that I get to see Jamie. That is why I am here. I've actually missed being around him and being able to talk to him. It's been a weird month to be living in my head. I haven't really reached out to him since he hasn't reached out to me. I just assumed he didn't want to talk to me. The fact he wants me at this interview changes everything. Or maybe it doesn't. Who knows?

I check in with security and am escorted down to the visitor's locker room. There is a background set up with 3 bar stools in front of it. There's lights and a camera set up. I am introduced to a few people on the crew and I shake their hands. I am brought over to a chair and seated in front of a mirror. Someone comes over to do my makeup. I am starting to get more nervous. This is no joke. After my makeup is done I am walked back over to where we will be doing the interview. Cabbie walks over to me."Hey, Amy, I'm Cabbie," he says as he shakes my hand. "It's good to meet you."

"Yeah, you too," I reply. I start to look around the room as more and more crew members gather around.

"You look nervous," he says. He puts his hand on my shoulder. "You have nothing to be nervous about."

"I'm new to all of this. It's intimidating."

"You'll get the hang of it really quickly, I'm sure. You have the personality. I've read your tweets." Someone walks over and whispers something into his ear. "Jamie should be with us shortly." He points to the stool closest to his. "Why don't you sit while we wait?"