Chapter 3 [FM]

May 27, 2011 (9:30pm)

Okay, so I haven't really been working much on this story all week. Usually, I write a lot in my notebook so the chapters are longer than the ones in my other stories, but I've had a bit of writer's block. It sucks because usually I don't GET writer's block. I'm one of those people who plan out their whole stories in their head and work out the little details as I daydream. I know what's supposed to happen, but I'm having a little trouble getting there.

Oh well. Let's just see how this next chapter works out, shall we?

______________________

River's P.O.V.

Well, I had a very awkward morning. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't the classes that were the problem. They were boring, which is what I expected. Anyone who says they like classes, lies to your face. Of course, there are exceptions like electives or the nerdy kids, but no average person likes classes like Biology or History.

No one should disagree with this theory. They might only say they like the class because of the teacher or the people in it. No one wants to memorize the stages of Mitosis or learn what the Gettysburg Address was. Putting teenagers in school when our brains aren't fully developed was the stupidest thing ever. Mainly because in our lives, we'd forget like sixty percent of all of this random crap. I don't even remember how to divide without a calculator!

But as I said before, the classes weren't the problem. Why the morning was awkward you may ask? That's easy.

The wolves stared at me before class, through class, after class, and in between classes. It was starting to get extremely annoying. Some glared. Others stared with a mild curiosity. All of them stayed the hell away from me. It was as if they were afraid of me or something. I doubted they were, but if they were, I loved it. Sometimes it's just better to have people fear you.

There were more wolves in this area than I thought. Didn't Kevin tell me something about this being one of the largest packs in this part of the country or something like that? Well, I don't remember and I don't really care. A pack was a pack, and I just wanted my mate. Nothing else.

Well, almost nothing.

Coming here with people, who were like me when I was alone, was kind of intimidating. Of course I didn't show it, but I really wish I had Kevin here with me. He would know how to make this easier for me. Kevin was always good about protecting me.

But Kevin wasn't here. I was on my own again. Just like at the orphanage. And this time, having a family adopt me wouldn't cut it. I'd have to make my own place in this town. It was time to play the strong wolf. I couldn't be that defenseless girl anymore.

Going back to the topic of my mate, I still haven't found him. That was really frustrating. As of right now, I had twenty-six days until the night I was supposed to turn into a wolf.

Then, I felt a sudden wave of panic. What if my mare never did find me? What if he wasn't even here? What if I died? I was, legit, too young to die. If I died... that'd be like a little Labrador puppy dying. Okay, not quiet, but I'm really trying to get my point across and puppies dying are awful.

 I'm not usually this dramatic, either. Really, I'm not. It's just that I've been presented with a situation that no one else has ever had to deal with before. It's scary to not know whether or not you'll be alive in the next month.

Okay, negative thoughts are officially ending. Time for only positive thoughts now. It is time for lunch and after I dropped off books at my locker, I was headed for the cafeteria. There I was determined to find Mike and stick with him like Velcro. He'd be pissed, but even a loner needs a friend.