Chapter 1.

They smell like roses.
I see red all over.
You win my heart forever.

Chapter onee.
"The world will be a better place if you don't exist!"

"You should look in the mirror and think twice, Eleanora!"

"Do you think I care? Tiffany, let me tell you, I was bor-"

"Shut it off."

I pretend to keep focused on the TV.

"God damn it, shut it off!"

"You are so damn annoying!" I say, not caring about it.

"Eileen, turn the TV off."

"No way, I am not your slave." I look at Eileen who keeps reading her book. "Besides, the show is amazing."

"Ha. See?" I feel so proud.

"You two ridiculous girls are out of your mind." Callan stands and slams the door behind him. Eileen looks at me.

"To be honest, Katelyn, that show is boring as hell."

"I know." I turn the TV off. "But there are no good TV shows right now, and," I pause. "I don't like the way he acts."

"He just broke up, you know." Eileen plays with her hair. "Today."

"What?"

"With Gabrielle."

"It's not even 12 o'clock yet. When did she come?"

"Around two hours ago." Eileen stands and puts the book she was reading into the shelves. "Life is boring."

"Well, to be correct, our life is boring." I say emphasizing to the our.

"Try to do something, Kat." Eileen walks and sits beside me.

"Don't call me Kat." I scoff. "I told you, no nicknames, ever, for me. Just Katelyn."

"Don't change the subject." She shakes her head.

"Agree to my statement first."

"Stop being so bossy."

"I am older than you."

"But that doesn't make your life is better than mine, Katelyn."

"Whatever. You and Callan are just the same." I stand up from the couch, leaving her.

"You should stop being so stubborn and act like a 12 year old girl." Eileen yells.

"You're the one whose twelve." I yell back before closing my door. I hear her shouting that she is not twelve but I don't care.

I sit on the edge of my bed. The world seems so silent. The view from my window is the same everyday. Plain as day. People selling stuff, cars come and go, childern playing, nothing change. Am I going to spend the rest of my life here?

There are no more caste. None. But my parents still have those blood caste on them. As an eight, it's sort of hard for them to find a good job even though the caste system has been removed, people from the upper castes always recognize us from the lower castes, especially eights.

Imagining mom and dad enter our house tired and feel so useless, with me, Eileen, and Callan who fight everyday. Not to mention the three of us are old enough to be fighting daily. Tax of the house, electricity, our school fee and stuff, what should we eat, what should we wear, I just can't accept them forcing so hard on theirself and forget about anything else.

I want to change our life, but how? I don't really have a special talent, not that I know. And eventually girls below 18 can't get a job and sadly I'm still 17. It's different from boys, they're allowed to work at the age of 17 but Callan is 16 and Eileen, she is just 15, she needs to enjoy her years.
But I never enjoyed mine. School is just so bad that I can't even have a friend. I'm a loner. Everywhere. My rank is high, I'm always at the top three, but people never sees me. I do every school activity alone. Maybe it's because I'm an eight. But my friend, Teresa is also an eight and she has so many friends already. She doesn't seem to care about her parents past and her parents have gotten a new good job already. Atleast she could change her style every week. And not like me, basic as a spinach.

The mirror is standing in front of me beside the window. I see a dirty blonde almost brown haired girl with green eyes and big eyebags below her eyes. Her clothes are just so embarassing. An old skirt with an oversized tshirt. She looks like someone old. She has no fashion style. She is so pathetic. But that's me. That is really me.

It's October and school is on holiday for no reason. Usually when the school is on holidays, there must be news from the palace. What are the royal family planning this time?

I'm not really a fan of the castle's announcement anyway.

"A selection!" Mom bursts into my room.

"Mom!" I hold my chest in shock, which is pounding loudly against myself. "What are you doing here? You're not supposed to come home this early, and where is dad?"

"I get my job covered and dad is still at his work, but guess what? There is going to be a selection!"

"A what?" I ask confused.

"A selection, honey. It's where the royal heir choose their wife or husband among 35 ladies or suitors."

"Oh that." I remember.

"Yes. And when I first heard it, I quickly ran straight home and found the form in the mailbox. I know you won't check mailbox."

"Yes."

"So," she hands me the form. "Will you?"

"Hell yes!" Eileen all of sudden rushes into my room. She must have been eavesdropping. "Come on, Kat! This is a big opportunity!"

"I... don't know..." I mumble.

"Oh come on, you're just applying, you don't even know if you're selected or not."

"Eileen is right." Mom pats my back. "This is huge, Katelyn. You don't have to marry the prince, but if you stay long enough maybe untill the elite, our family could be better from the money we get daily. And when it's enough, your father and I will send you a letter for you to come home."

I look at her. I don't know what to feel. Or what to say.

"I know how it feels like to be forced by love, I don't like that. But when you find your real love somewhere, it must be from your heart and not your thirst of money."

Eileen grabs my hand and squeezes them. "Please, Kat, Please."

"Fine." I finally say. "I don't think they will select me over 100 million girls from all of the country, but yeah, I'll try."