Chapter 14

The rest of the week passed in somewhat of a haze and all of a sudden, the morning of the anticipated life altering day commenced.

Rose had barely slept that night. Remembrance of the previous night she had been tossing and turning was constantly on her mind. Reliving all the intervals on which their first meeting had its foundation. Rethinking about all the wonders the Doctor had introduced her to; broadening her view of the existing universe so extensively, she still had some difficulty processing how different her life would be from this day forth.

The events of the day before her, flashed through her mind the instant conscious thought made her aware of the light shining through her window.

There was a soft tick and smiling broadly, Rose leaped out of the bed and towards the window.

He was there.

With none around to witness the tête-à-tête, Rose leaned on the windowsill.

"Some cultures deem it back luck to see the bride before the appointed moment, however, since you are not in your wedding gown yet, I dear say, luck will remain safely at our side for now."

"For now?"

The Doctor nodded, quite serious, although Rose distinctly thought she saw a twitch in the corner of his mouth, before he said: "Yes, of course. There is no need for luck once I have you for my wife."

His wide grin was as infectious as ever and Rose's melodious laugh filled the morning air.

"You Sir, are not dressed yet." She pointed out, her tone of voice teasing.

"I am so. More so than you are at the moment, Miss frivolity."

Rose giggled unladylike and looked round at a soft knocking sound.

"Alas, I have to leave you for the moment, the make-up is at hand."

"Then I will depart reluctantly and ready myself as well."

"Wait!" Rose yelled. Upon realising her error, her hand swiftly flew to her mouth. When no one came round the house inquisitive, she released her breath and rolled her eyes in relief.

The Doctor laughed softly and eager awaited her reason for detaining him.

"It is a custom, I do not know if you are familiar with it. I did not entirely follow the rules, for I am meant to have done the needlework myself. Yet I do not wish to embarrass you, to make you wear something terribly messed up, so I went to the tailors instead. Yesterday, when my mother had her business there, I-"

She hesitated, suddenly very shy. Picking something up from under the sill and blushing ferociously, she beckoned him closer.

"I had to guess your size, I had it taken in a bit. I saw the colour and it immediately reminded me of you. I-"

Hesitating again, and hearing another knock behind her, she tossed the package down without further ado.

The Doctor caught it, opened it, was astounded and then his huge wide beam appeared.

He held up the blue shirt in a triumphant manner, wordlessly giving his promise to heed her wish.

Rose felt relieved beyond measure and smiling, motioned him to scurry away.

In turning, he blew her a swift kiss, before hastily retreating himself from under her window. Rose watched him run away and breathing out a happy sigh, she answered the third knock and the maid came in to assist her.

Not long after, Mrs. Tyler came in to fuss about. Giving orders, sending out and calling in servants, directing the maids as to hairstyle and jewellery. Rose let her be. The one thing she did absolutely not remove, was her engagement ring. Her mother could rant all she liked about how the wedding ring would have to be on the left hand, but Rose was adamant. The Doctor had put it there, so there it would remain.