Chapter 11

"Hello mother."

"Rose!" Mrs. Tyler screeched and flew out of her chair by the windowsill.

"Where have you been? We have been so distressed. You were away all day and then that dreadful weather all of a sudden. We were sure there had to be something terribly amiss. Are you al right? Were you alone? Where is the Doctor?"

"Mum, please, do not be so alarmed, I am quite al right. Nothing is wrong, we were simply held up because of the heavy rainfall. Please, contain yourself."

Rose felt a profound need in calming her mothers wits, there she was convinced the Doctor could hear every word her mother practically yelled out.

They were seated and Mrs. Tyler informed again, this time in a softer tone: "Did he escort you back? Did he not come in? And where is your bonnet? Your dress is terribly wrinkled and your shoes!"

Before her mother had a chance to continue, Rose quickly rose to her feet and shut the door behind her. A little more at ease, she let her mother rattle on for a few more minute. Until the woman called for evening tea in seemingly the same breath and Rose found her time had come to speak.

Waiting for the servant to leave the room, Rose stood up and waited on her mother before pouring some tea for herself.

When Mrs. Tyler was suitably accommodated, taking a bite of some or other refreshment, Rose began her explanation, carefully leaving some parts out.

"We have been walking down the countryside, having lunch and enjoying ourselves, until we were caught in the sudden storm. We were drenched to the bone in an instant. However we found shelter and we were forced to wait out the rain, thus missing dinner. We came home the instant it was dry again. Forgive me for giving you such concern."

"I am glad to hear nothing happened." Mrs. Tyler deflated and she took another sip of her tea.

Upon looking up again, she perceived her daughters fluttered constitution and instantly, almost dropping her tea, she squealed: "Did he behave improper? Did he conduct himself in an unsuitable manner? If he did, so help me, I will-"

"No, mother!" Rose placed a hand on her heart in shock that her mother could even think such a thing about the Doctor.

"He behaved everything amiable and gentleman like. He only talked to me about his travels. He has been to so many places, he has a brilliant mind, clever and resourceful. And he is so considerate; I fell down and he helped me up, all chivalry and kindness."

Accepting her daughters assurance, Mrs. Tyler did not want time to leap to a different extreme. And almost as soon as Rose finished speaking, her mind was set on there being a happy occasion in the nearby future.

How accurate her assumptions were, she could not have dreamed of at that time.

Meanwhile, Rose had some toilsome time in trying to summarize, how best to inform her mother of her formed attachment.

She did not fear her mother would oppose the match. The Doctor was known, or rather assumed to have a substantial fortune. He was handsome, well mannered and seemed of an appropriate age. Rose smiled unwittingly at this thought.

She rather feared her mother would think it undesirable for her to be going away. Not towards an assignable destination, yet around the world, for all she was to know.

Taking a bite herself, Rose stood up to take a turn about the room, recollecting her spirits, whilst playing with her ring.

Mrs. Tyler observed her daughter and noticed the trinket.