Chapter 6

"A screwdriver?"

Useful in a way to distract her from the pain her ankle caused, Rose could not however find any other reason for it being helpful in her situation.

"Do you, by chance, have a medicine box you need to unscrew?" She ventured.

The Doctor smiled at her cautious inquiry.

"This is no mere screwdriver. It does unscrew bolts when needed, but there is no need, nor want for that now, is there?"

"There must be a reason for you to show it to me, or do you simply want to provide distraction? You are doing a good job, if that is your goal."

Laughing, the Doctor went in search for words to explain. Trying a few times to begin an explanation, but seizing before taking of, he finally sighed and spoke: "There is no simple way of telling you. I had better just show you and answer questions later. I promise you, it will cause no pain. It will feel awkward to be sure, but that will be of short duration."

He took her hand and made sure her focus was on him completely, before concluding: "I will never hurt you Rose Tyler."

Unable to speak, Rose simply nodded and watched with great interest as he set the blue tip of the strange tool against her injured foot and pushed a small button.

Great was her surprise at seeing a light come from the tool, instantly revealing it to be the torch used to light their way two nights back. Even more astonishing was the buzzing sound it produced, doing what it did to her foot.

The Doctor's hand placed firm on her leg just above her ankle, avoided her withdrawing her foot in haste, when it began to heat up.

She made a sound of fright and the Doctor quickly stopped.

"Did it hurt you?"

Rose found it did not, and finding a little relieve in that, she shook her head.

Very gently he asked: "Does it feel warm?"

"Yes," she managed to breathe.

"It will only take another moment, will you trust me?"

Upon her nod, he pushed the button again.

Rose was sure she tasted blood, from biting her lip too hard, nevertheless the pain in her ankle was miraculously dissipated. She sat in shock, looking at her bare foot in the Doctor's hand. He just knelt there, waiting for her to calm down. His eyes rested on her face in clear anticipation, as he held the screwdriver for her to see. At last she held out her hand and he placed the object of her recovery in it.

"This Sir, is not a screwdriver."

The Doctor laughed, relieved that her shock was of short duration.

"It has the same basic function, that of opening things. Other than that, it can also be used for different means."

"Such as healing? You can make a fortune, selling this technology to hospitals."

"The world is not ready yet, they would do little good with it, even though meaning well."

"Is it of your making?"

"It is."

"How is that possible? I have never seen anything that resembles this in the slightest manner. You are a remarkable man, having such knowledge."

Rose could not withhold her admiration, she imagined it had to be evident in her eyes, for the Doctor waved his hand and stood up.

"Do you feel up to standing? Or would you rather rest a little longer?"