Chapter 5

The following day – Rose stayed in bed till almost noon, but since there were no other obligations, no mention of it was made – the family received an invitation to dine at Glamorgan, home to her dear friend Martha Jones. Their estate neighboured that of the Tylers by but half a mile and the friends were often found together. An invitation to include the rest of the families was frequently exchanged, therefore all looked forward to a pleasant evening. Rose being only a little disappointed that she would not see the Doctor that day.

Here however she was delightedly mistaken, for upon arrival at her friends house, she found the invitation had included Mr. Smith also and his friend the Doctor accompanied him. Apparently the gentleman had spend the day as a guest in Mr. Smith's house.

Rose found her way to Miss Joneses room, as the young lady was not yet prepared.

"Did you know the Doctor would be here?" She immediately questioned. Miss Jones smiled and replied with another question.

"So, you haven't discovered the gentleman's name, then?"

Rose blushed, which increased her friends curiosity dramatically.

"Rose? Do you have some information to enlighten me with? Am I to congratulate you? Please tell me quick."

Only awaiting the servant's departure, who was busy with the last hand on Miss Joneses dark brown hair, Rose set herself on the bed. Her friend joined her in haste, grabbing her hands.

"He has not made an offer as of yet. However I dare say I can expect one, if things proceed accordingly."

"Have you spoken with him after the ball?"

"I have seen him, yes. He came to dine with us yesterday."

"Did you find out where he resides, then?" Miss Jones exclaimed? "I have heard Mrs. ___ instructed a servant to inquire at all inn's, if he stayed at any of them, but she found out nothing."

"Did she? How quaint. Undoubtedly it is in her design to get him to marry one of her nieces. She is always on the lookout for a wealthy man. But no, to answer your question. I have not found out anything significant to relate to you, however-"

Here they were interrupted by the announcement of dinner being ready and they hurried down.

A short whisper to her mother, helped Miss Jones in her scheme to have herself and her friend most advantageously seated. Across one another, next to respectively Mr. Smith and the Doctor.

When seated, Rose found herself at a loss for words and she was thankful for the Doctor obliging her in beginning the conversation.

"Miss Tyler, what a pleasant surprise, we meet again." His boyish grin lightened the polite statement and she believed, were they alone, he would have kissed her hand.

Her cheeks turned quite pink again and she quickly set about the first course.

The Doctor allowed her to eat the first half in silence. Soon however, eager to have her attention focused on himself, he spoke again.

"Did you have a quiet morning, Miss Tyler?" He intended to ask about how she slept and fortunately Rose understood.

With a shy smile, she therefore replied: "Quite well, sir. I am well rested."

He nodded in satisfaction and said: "I enjoyed our conversation immensely and am looking forward to continue our discussion."

On Rose's shocked expression, he quickly added: "Would tomorrow suit you? I would be obliged if you could show me around the neighbourhood."