I - Ispee

Year of study: third

Assignment type: paired (with mentor)

She is the size of a dragonfly. Her hair is like silk threads, and her wings, bright splashes of color against the night, ripple in undulating motion. Up close, I can see tiny rings glittering on her eight fingers. Spurs jutting out from her heels flash dangerously in the moonlight.

It’s those spurs that we’re currently trying to avoid.

“Ow, I think she got me!” complains Jasmine as the ispee darts toward her neck and then flits out of reach.

“No, she didn’t,” says Tina, our mentor for this evening. “Just keep your shield up and you’ll be fine, Jas.” She stands at the edge of the garden, keeping out of our way, but close enough to intervene if things go south.

The ispee goes for Jasmine’s neck again, which I find a little weird. The textbook said ispees usually hang around ground level and sting whatever legs get too close to their flowery habitat. They’re very protective of their floral homes.

Oh. Perhaps that’s it. “I think she likes your perfume, Jas,” I say. “Maybe you could just stand still for a bit and bare your neck. Then once she settles on it we can catch her.”

Jasmine glares at me. “Stand still and bare my neck? I don’t think so, Violet.” She dodges the ispee once more. “How about you be the bait?”

“I would, but you’re the one who thought drenching yourself in perfume right before an assignment would be a good idea.”