Chapter 26 Living the Good Life

When my classes are finished for the day, I pick up Gabby from school and we make our way back to the hotel for our normal routine. Homework and work. We walk into the room and get ourselves together. Gabby grabs a granola bar before we sit down and get started. Shawn is already there and working on his homework. He looks up as we sit down and start pulling out our homework. "Have you talked to Cole today?" "Yes, I did." I grumble. "What did he say?"

"He told me when they ask to just say that I forgive him and leave it at that. It's best for the food drives. He said that in a few months when I do another interview, and I will. They will ask about this, and they will. I can tell them at that time what I really think, but for now is just about forgiveness, which is best for the food drives." I frown. "You must not like that answer." He says. "I just don't like the fact that he is going to get away with it for now. It's not right to me, but I'm doing it for the food drives." I tell him.

"You'll be fine. Just do what he says." Shawn muses. "If I get interviewed, I'll tell the truth." Gabby says. "We are trying to keep you out of this so please don't do any interviews." I plead. "For now, I won't but when the time comes, I will make a statement about him. I really don't like him." She grunts. "Me neither. Let's get our homework and work done, we have dinner with my parents at five-thirty." We both get down to work.

Marie and Leda walk in the door. Marie hands me the keys to the Cadillac. "Everything is good at your apartment. I don't think anyone has figured out where you live yet. That's a good thing." She says. They sit down and we all start work at the big table. Gabby is having a little trouble with her accounting homework, so Leda helps her and explains it to her in a way that she understands it. She's very happy and finishes her homework before I do and starts working. She knows what needs to be done, so she's able to start without me. When I finished my homework, I looked over what she did and we finished for the day.

We all go and change clothes and made sure the table is set for when my parents arrive. Room service brought up our dinner and as soon as we set it all on the table, my parents arrive. Marie opens the door for them and says hello as they walk in the door. We all greet each other and I give my mom and dad a hug. My mom looks around and says. "This is really nice. How can you afford this?" I look at her and Shawn and dad jump in. Dad says, "You just got back into her good graces. Are you sure that you want to start again?" Shawn walks over and puts his hand on my back. "Just leave it alone mom. When are you going to get tired of trying to start the same old argument?"

My mom looks at both of them and then turns to me. "I'm sorry. Let me start again. This is a really nice place." I look back at her and say, "Thank you. Are you all ready for dinner?" We all sit down and start eating. As we eat, the conversation flows. My mom brings up the interview and how the guy acted. "I'm so mad at that man for doing what he did to you. He apologized, but it's just not enough for me. I need him to be publicly humiliated like he tried to do you. Where is your car being stored?"

"Cole put it in some garage that he made arrangements with the last time he was here." I tell her. "Why didn't you store it with us?" She asks. "Because if I store it with you, then the unwanted attention will be on you. If we put it out of everyone's sight then they will eventually forget about it hopefully and I can drive my car again. If not, then I'll have to buy a new one." I say. "What are you driving now?"

"I'm driving a rental car for a couple of weeks and then I'll be driving the Cadillac that Cole brought the last time he was here." I shift around uncomfortably. I do not want to argue with her again. She surprises me though. "That's good. I understand why you can't stay with us either. You're protecting us to keep our privacy. Thank you." I feel Shawn exhale beside me. He's just as relieved as I am. My mother turns her attention to Gabby and starts speaking with her asking about school and work. Gabby being the exuberant person that she is jumps right in and commands the conversation. We are all laughing by the end of the meal.