Chapter 29 And So it Goes

Neri

School goes a lot better than I thought it would. I wear my sunglasses and there's more security around the areas where I go to class. Other than a few good jobs and other comments, it's very quiet. I head back to my new home and take the elevator up to the room. No one is there when I arrive and I don't have to pick up Gabby until later, because she is going over Terry's house after school so they can work on a project together. Terry's mom is going to pick them up from school. Terry is proving to be a good friend to her and I may consider having both of them come with us in June and also have someone to come with us when Gabby has her modeling jobs.

I start on my homework and thinking about the paper that I have to write for my class, when my phone rings. "Hello." "Hi Neri. It's Roger. How are you?" He greets me. "Doing better. How's it going?" I say back. "It's going really well. I was calling because you have so many offers flooding in and I wanted to go over some of them with you."

Okay. "Go ahead." I tell him. "First there are news stations and morning shows that want to interview you. I told the morning shows that since you are still in school that you can't travel except for on Fridays. I told the local news stations that they would have to interview you early because of school. There are a couple of newspaper's that would like you to write an article talking about your experiences doing the food drives. I just needed your input on that one. The same company that tried to get you to model for them after the first food drive wants you to do it for them this weekend. What do you think?'

I take a deep breath, "Okay. First and foremost I can't do anything this weekend coming up. Cole is taking me out of town and would kill both of us if I took any jobs. I just need some rest this week so we can revisit some of those morning shows next week. I'm writing a paper for my class about my experiences doing the fundraisers. I have to ask my teacher, but I'm sure that he'll let me use it for the newspaper. Find out how many words they want and I'll try to make it work. Have you gotten any offers for Gabby?" "I've gotten a few. I told her mother about them and she'll talk to you." He says. "Let me know how many words the newspapers need and I'll work on that this week. We'll talk next Monday about everything else." I say. "Will do." He says. We say bye and disconnect the call.

I sent an email to my teacher to make sure that I would be able to use my paper for the newspaper articles and then I continue to do my homework enjoying the quiet. I hear the keycard in the door and look up as Cole and Shawn walk in together. "Hey." I say. Cole comes over and gives me a kiss then sits beside me. "Hi." Shawn says "Hey!" and moves to sit across from me at the table. He pulls out his books and starts working on his homework. "What were you guys doing?" I ask. "My car broke down so I called Cole to come and get me. We got a lot of looks when a limo came to pick me up." Shawn says. "Why didn't you call me? I was right there." I ask.

"This is your week of rest. We're not going to bother you for anything." He says. "What's wrong with your car?" I ask. "I think it may be the battery. I had it towed to the shop and they are going to call me later. I'm going to sell it anyway before we move and buy a new one when I start work." He looks around. "Where's Gabby. Were we supposed to pick her up?" "No. She's over at Terry's house working on a school project. She'll call when she's ready for us to pick her up." I say. Then I remember. "We can't go over my parent's house for dinner tonight because of paparazzi, so we decided to meet at Texas Roadhouse in St. Charles for dinner. How does that sound?"

"One of my favorite restaurants." Shawn says. I look at Cole. "I've never been there, but I'm willing to try it." "You'll love it." Shawn says. "They have the best of anything on their menu." Cole nods his head and we all go back to work. I finish my homework in record time and start working on my paper. Cole is working on his computer and Shawn is doing his homework. I remember my call with Roger and turn to Cole. I decide to mess with him a little bit. "Roger called today and I was offered a modeling job for this weekend and I took it." He looks up at me. "What!" I send Roger a quick text so he'll expect Cole's call.