Chapter 8 Highs and Lows

Cole

"What are you doing here?" She asks me. I've been so worried and she asks me what I am doing here. Why didn't she answer her phone? I've been calling and texting since last night! I thought about how I look standing here banging on her door. Crap. I panicked. When I couldn't get ahold of her last night and then this morning, I had to come and make sure she's not hurt or anything. I can't think of another reason right off of the top of my head right now, so I go with the truth. "I tried to call you last night and then this morning and when I couldn't get ahold of you, I panicked and came to see if you were alright." She lifts her eyebrows and opens the door wider so I can walk inside. "Well, as you see, I am doing just fine. Why were you calling me?"

I walk in the door and look around. Her place is nice and cozy. I never imagined that royal blue would look good in a room, but this really looks nice. "I got a couple more of those contracts and I would wondering if you could type them up for me again? I know that you don't start until next week, but it would help me out a lot if you could do it." I hand her the new laptop that I got her for work. "You can use this for school also if you need too."

"No problem." About that time I see a big guy come out of what I assume is the kitchen. She turns around and smiles. "Cole, this is Shawn, my best friend. He's coming with me the week after next. I was going to introduce you to him then, but now is just as good a time as any." Shawn comes over and shakes my hand. "It's nice to meet you. I'm sorry that you weren't able to get ahold of Nera last night and this morning. I turned off her phone because she hasn't been getting much sleep lately. I just wanted to make sure that she would be able to sleep in today, because it will be the last time for a while."

At least now I know what's going on. "No problem. After she finishes my paper we can go over the last of the arrangements that she will need for next week since I won't be there." Nera leads me over to the table. I notice that her dark hair is down and straight today. It's hanging halfway down her back, swinging as she walks. She has a slim build with curves. Her behind hugs her jeans very well. I haven't seen her since they were at my house a couple of weeks ago and she is just as beautiful now as she was then. We sit down and she pulls out her personal laptop and turns it on. "I thought that you could use the new laptop."

"We can use mine to get the contracts completed and sent off and then we can set up the new laptop. If we do it this way, if we run into any problems while setting up the new laptop, it won't put us in a bind to get the contracts completed." She says without looking up. "When do you go back?"

"I think I will spend the night here and then go back tomorrow morning." I move around in my chair a little bit as I go through the files and get what she needs for the contracts. I hand them over to her and she hands me the laptop so I can sign into my email and accounts that she needs to do the contracts. "I know that this isn't as nice as your house or one of the hotels that you stay at, but you are welcome to stay with us if you'd like." She offers. Stay with us? What is that about? Is he living here? "Sure, I'd be happy to stay. Thank you very much. What did you all have planned today?"

"Not much of anything. I was just going to do some homework and get some of my work done for the fundraisers that I have to plan for class. By the way, would you be able to come to one of them? I am doing them for three food banks in the area. They all have a really bad need for donations. I couldn't decide between the three of them so I am doing it for all of them." She pulls some papers out of her bag and hands them to me. "If you could make one of these, it would be awesome! I'll make it a surprise and if for some reason you can't make it, no one will be disappointed." She takes the laptop back and starts typing the contracts, making suggestions for different points on the contracts. While she is doing that, Shawn and I start talking and he's a cool guy. I'm glad that she has him as a best friend.