Chapter 22 An Afternoon at the Spa

After I drop Cole off at the airport, I come back home and start on my homework.  I miss him already.  I decide to text my mom to make sure that she's going to be ready when it's time to go.  Luckily, I don't have much homework so I finish it quickly.  My phone rings and its Gabby.  "Hi Gabby!" I say.  "Hi Neri.  I was just calling you to see if you needed me to start early.  I don't have anything to do right now."  I want to take her to the spa with me, but my mom and I need to talk and Gabby's endless energy will not help that situation at all.  "Let me look at my schedule and see if there's anything that I can have you do.  Do you have a laptop?"  I ask her as I look up my schedule.  "I did, but it crashed last week and my mom hasn't had time to get me a new one yet."  I can't send her anything to do so I stop looking at my schedule.  I put getting her a laptop on my list.  "Tell your mom that getting you a laptop will be part of the pay that you receive for your help.  You just don't know how much you are helping me these next few weeks." I tell her. 

"I'm happy to do it and I am so excited about this."  She says.  "I did want to talk to you though."  I start.  "You will be seeing and doing a lot of things that are confidential.  I just want to reiterate to you that everything that happens and everything you see is confidential.  This just doesn't affect us, it affects you to.  There are so many opportunities that can come from this and if you can't keep things quiet, you will lose some of the opportunities and I want you to have the choice of every opportunity that can come your way, okay?"  "Sure."  She says.  "I can't wait until this weekend.  Did you have anything for me to do today?" 

"Since you don't have a laptop, there isn't much I can have you do.  I have an appointment at four today.  If I get out by six, I'll come and get you and we can go get dinner and find you a laptop.  If not, I will pick you up from school tomorrow and we will go and shop then, okay?"  "That's cool!  I'll call my mom and let her know.  Both her and my dad work tonight, so I'm home alone and all of my friends work tonight."  Pull at my heartstrings.  "I'll come and get you as soon as I pick up my mom and you can go with us okay?" I find myself saying.  "Okay.  Where are we going?" She asks.  "I'm taking my mom for a massage and getting her hair done.  You can come with us.  Do you need your hair trimmed?" I ask.  "My mom made me an appointment for tomorrow, but if we are doing it tonight, I can have her cancel that one."

"I'll be by to pick you up around three-thirty." I tell her.  We get off of the phone and Shawn walks in the door.  "You're kind of late getting here." I comment.  "I picked up my mom and we had lunch."  He says.  He has a big smile on his face.  His mom has always had that effect on him.  I smile back at him.  "How did it go?" 

"It was great as always.  I haven't seen her in over a month since you have been monopolizing my time." I laugh at him while he continues.  "Since my younger siblings are both in high school now, she went out and got a part-time job as a receptionist.  She'll be working Monday thru Friday from ten a.m. to two p.m.  My father can't argue about it because she will be home when everyone leaves and she will be there when everyone gets home from school and work.  She's so excited."

"I'm excited for her.  How long has she been trying to find a job like this?"  I ask him.  "I know that it's been a long time.  This is great!  She can get out in the world more."  I look at my phone and notice the time.  "We have to go, I'm picking up my mom a little early since I'm taking Gabby with us to the spa."  I text my mom about the change in plans and she tells me that she's ready whenever I get there.  "I thought that you were going to talk to her about what happened." He says. 

"I am.  I think that there's not really much to talk about and we can do it on the way to Gabby's house.  She really only has to apologize.  I've already forgiven her so we're fine." I tell him.  "Let me freshen up real quick and then we can go."  He tells me.