13

The next thing I know, an Erudite woman is towering over me with a syringe in her hand. "Who are you?" I try to mutter, but the words won't come out of my mouth. I decide just to hold my tongue, try to read her name tag.

"You must have been wondering who I was, Kass," the woman tells me in a rather unusual voice. When I stare at her, she adds, "my parents are from Australia."

"Oh, yes, I'm Jennifer," the doctor replies. I look at my leg, which is swollen up. "You are curious for somebody from Abnegation."

"Candor," I hiss, and the words actually come out of my beat-up body. "I hate your faction."

Wow. I hate your faction, it sounds so rude, yet so good. Jennifer looks at me with her snakelike eyes, violently with a flush of rage in the brown pupils behind the lenses of her glasses. I give her an apologetic look. She scoffs, but it's obvious that I hit a weak spot.

"Sir," the Erudite person says to someone who wears only white, "I believe she is okay to go now."

"Alright," the Candor man says - only Candor wear white. "Then tell her. Now."

So just like that I am discharged from the hospital. I heave a sigh of relief as Ro helps me out the door. He told me he was there all night.

Scary.