10

That night I can barely sleep. Luckily Jordan wakes us up early so we can throw knives.

The knives are sharper than normal knives. I guess they were manufactured in Dauntless, where everything is monumental and intimidating. After yesterday's fight with Leigh, we learn to respect each other and Ivan. Rumours in Dauntless say Rafferty is dead. He was from Erudite. The Erudite newspaper says that their faction leader's nephew died.

During knife throwing, I see a tall girl with tan skin, blonde hair, and greyish eyes crying in a corner. I'm not an atomic jerk. I approach the girl carefully, and ask her what's wrong.

"My brother Rafferty..." The girl says. "He's dead."

"Rafferty's not dead, he's going to be okay." I say to the crying girl. "What's your name?"

"Rachel." The girl replied. Suddenly when I turn my head around on impulse I see the intimidating shadow of Jordan, and the guy himself glaring evilly at me and Rachel.

"Well, well, well, two little girls taking a break when they haven't even got blisters. What a shame. I suppose we'll all get blisters from killing them." Jordan teases.

Rachel starts to tear up and curls herself into a ball. "You don't belong in Dauntless, you rotten piece of junk! You don't belong in any of the factions." Jordan mocks. "Why, I bet your useless faction threw you out. Or, let me guess. You're such a coward you can't go anywhere without your Rafferty. Well, now, that pathetic freak is dead and there's nothing you can--"

"Shut up!" I scream and I jump on top of Jordan. "This is not Dauntless! Dauntless isn't about teasing kids, it's about facing your fears, you pathetic coward!" Now I start hitting Jordan in the face like Dauntless taught me to do. "She joined Dauntless for her brother and now he's dead! Joining for a relative is courageous. It's brave. It's what the real Dauntless would do! Get that, Jordan? She joined for Rafferty! That! Is! DAUNTLESS!!!!!"

I may have been the hero who saved Rachel if it wasn't for Danny. "Get off of him! What has gotten into you?" He yanked me off of Jordan and I explained what happened. Danny, who was normally a fun, happy guy, his face turned dark red and he screamed at Jordan:

"YOU ARE NOT A PART OF DAUNTLESS ANYMORE! GET OUT!"