Chapter 1: Outside and Play Date

Age: 7

Fall

Mommy is helping to put my clothes into a bag. She said I'm finally going outside to a new place. I smiled. I've never been outside before. It's exciting and scary but I know I'll be safe with Mommy and Daddy by my side. After my bags are put together, Mommy and Daddy carry them to the car. I've never been in a car before. It looks scary, like a big monster that will gobble me up. Mommy says I'll be fine. Daddy opens the car door and I climb in. It smells weird. There are seats in the car. I sit right in the middle and Daddy buckles me in with a safety belt. I don't know what it's for, but I'm guessing it'll keep me safe somehow. Timothy and Vivian stay behind. They smile and wave to me as Mommy and Daddy get into the car. When the car starts moving, I wave back, smiling. Vivian starts crying and Timothy hugs her tightly. I've never seen Vivian cry before. She never cries. I hope she's okay.

As the car moves, I see so many houses and trees and flowers. They're all different from my house. I wonder if other kids stay inside like I did. I guess I'm extra special since I can leave. I'm part of the group that leaves their house now. I smile as I look through the window of the car. Mommy and Daddy are talking. Mommy seems sad. Daddy seems upset. I don't think anything of it. Maybe they liked staying inside the house. I miss it too. I watch as the houses fly by. I never knew the world was so big. I wonder how much world there is. I've never seen anything other than my house.

After a few hours, the car stops moving. I see a huge building that towers over me. It's big and gray and has lots of windows. Mommy and Daddy get out of the car. I unbuckle the safety belt. Mommy opens the car door and I climb out. They have my bags with them and I hold Mommy's hand as we walk to two big doors. When we get close, they open as if they knew we were coming. We walk into the building and I look around. Two women are in the room and they are smiling at me. Mommy and Daddy talk to the women and then my bags are in the women's hands. Mommy kneels down, tears streaming down her face. I wrap my tiny arms around her and she hugs me back. She whispers, "I love you, (Y/N)."

She lets go and Daddy pats my head. He smiles down at me and one of the women take my hand. She starts guiding me somewhere and I look back at Mommy and Daddy. They are hugging and smiling at me. Then they turn and leave. I wave and follow the women. I don't know where we are going. I hope I get to be with Mommy and Daddy soon. We walk to a door and it opens when one of the women puts a card in a slot. She brings me into the room, placing my bags down. She kneels down and smiles warmly at me. I smile back, not really knowing what to do. I've never been around other people other than Mommy, Daddy, Vivian, and Timothy. 

"Hello, (Y/N). Welcome to the school. This will be your room. I'll be staying here with you so you won't be lonely. We'll also be bringing you to another room to have a play date with another child. Do you like that?" The woman said.

"I've never had a play date before. Will Mommy and Daddy be there?" I asked.

"Your mommy and daddy won't be here for a while. They will visit soon."

I tilted my head. 

"If Mommy and Daddy aren't here, then I shouldn't be either," I stated simply. I smiled.

"Mommy and Daddy brought you here. It's okay little one. They told us you can stay here," the woman said. "You may call me Nanny."

"Okay, Nanny." If Mommy and Daddy said it was okay, then I'll stay.

"Would you like to go to the play date now?"

I nodded. Nanny got up and said some things to the other woman. The woman nodded and began taking all my clothes out of my bags. She placed them in drawers and put my bags under the bed. Nanny took my hand and guided me out of the room. I looked around the hallway. It was big. There were many doors on either side. We went to a door at the end of the hallway and Nanny put a card into the slot again. The door opened and revealed a boy sitting in a chair. He looked up and smiled when he saw me. I tilted my head. Nanny brought me into the room. There was another man in the room. Nanny let go of my hand and began talking to the other man. I stared at the boy. He smiled at me. His hair was a golden blonde color and his bangs fell over his eyes. He flipped them out of the way and I saw his eyes were a very dark blue with speckles of sky blue. He wore a yellow button shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a dark blue tie. He wore gray pants and black sneakers.

"Hi," he said. He stood up from the chair and I had to look up to see his face.

"Hi," I said.

"I'm Gavin. What's your name?"

"My name is (Y/N)." Gavin smiled and stuck out his hand. I stared at his hand, tilting my head.

"Do you not know how to shake someone's hand?" I shook my head and Gavin laughed a bit. He took my hand in his and brought it up and down gently. "This is how you shake hands with someone."

I smiled. So this is what a play date is like? Gavin let go of my hand. 

"How old are you?" he asked.

"I am 7 years old," I said.

"Cool. I'm 9." He was older than me? How is that possible? I wonder what it's like to be 9. Will I ever be 9?

"Do you want to play?" he asked.

"I've never played with another person before," I said. Gavin took my hand and guided me over to a table with a train set. He didn't let go of my hand. He took a box with colorful buttons on it and pressed a few. The train in front of us began moving on its own. I marveled at the train. How is it moving on its own?

"Wanna try?" he asked, holding the box towards me. I pushed a button and the train stopped. I pushed another button and the train started moving forward again. I smiled. I pushed another button and the train moved faster. It went around the track once. Gavin showed me which buttons did what so I could make the train go through different tracks. It was fun. I looked up at Gavin and smiled.

"This is fun. Is this what play dates are like?" I asked.

"Not always. Maybe on our next play date we can play with another toy. Maybe we can build something with building blocks," he said, controlling the train.

"Can we build a house?"

"Sure. We'll make it the best house ever."

We looked over at Nanny and the man. They smiled and nodded, exchanging a few words between them. They took a pencil and wrote something on a paper on a board. I wonder what they are writing. I turned back towards the train set and saw the train wasn't moving anymore. Gavin looked at me and gave me the box.

"Here," he said. I looked at the buttons. The orange one made the train move slow. The red one made the train stop. The blue one made the train go backwards. The green one made the train move fast. And the purple one made the train tracks change. I pressed the orange button and the train started moving forward at a slow pace. I smiled.

After a few minutes, Nanny said it was time to go back to the room. Gavin took the box from me and stopped the train. He put the box down and turned to me.

"Today was fun. Tomorrow we can make the house of building blocks," he said with a smile.

"Okay," I said. Gavin opened his arms. I tilted my head. He laughed.

"Can I get a goodbye hug?"

"A what?"

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. 

"Now you put your arms around me like a normal hug," he said. I wrapped my arms around him. Then we let go. "That's a goodbye hug. It's what you do when you are leaving a friend."

"A friend? Are you made up?" I asked.

"A friend is someone you play with often and are close to. They don't have to be made up, or imaginary. I'm not imaginary. I'm an actual person. We will be playing almost everyday and we will get close."

I nodded. He smiled and waved to me. I waved back. Nanny took my hand and guided me out of the room. I looked back and saw Gavin watching me as I left. I miss Mommy and Daddy, but I think I'll be fine. Gavin seems like a nice person. Maybe Mommy and Daddy were wrong when they said that the outside was a dangerous place. Maybe it's good and safe.

Nanny and I went back to our room. Nanny helped me change into pajamas and she put my into a bed. She smiled and read me a story about a girl wishing upon a star. The bed was comfy and soft. I cuddled one of my stuffed animals, a (F/C) (F/A). I slowly closed my eyes and fell asleep, dreaming about wishing upon stars.