01. it's what we do

FEAR, to him, was a test

It crept up on him like an invisible vine, grasping on his limbs slowly that he couldn't move. It latched on to the weakest parts of him until it swallowed him whole. Wesley was taught the trick was not exactly fighting it, but going on despite the feeling of dread. He was trained on how to keep his head thinking in the worst of situations, because in this line of work, letting fear consume you before you act could lead to death. 

The fear that came with the dangers of vampire hunting had never left him.

This time was no different; the night was young and the dark creatures would be coming out to play.

He knew enough to at least expect that.

The cold breeze brushed past him as the trees around rustled. At almost two kilometers away from the nearest town, it sure was dark, except for the modicum of light given off by the crescent moon.

He had been waiting for them for the past hour with his weapon in hand- a silver gun. Crafted by the very own people of the Association of Vampire Hunters in its weaponry, the metal was cold and heavy against his hands. He took a sharp breath. They'd be here any second now.

Someone shifted at a tree almost ten feet away from him.  Alexa stood there solidly, holding a gun of her own. When she saw him looking, she smiled with a glint of mischief in her gray eyes.

Under normal circumstances, he would have chosen to do this job alone, but Alexa was one of his good friends. He couldn't stop her from coming along. Aside from arriving late, she even brought her younger brother, Lucas, just to let him see an actual demonstration of what he had been training for after all those months. Not that Wesley minded. He was even younger than fifteen-year-old Lucas when he started training.

This time there were two of them, and someone was willing to pay five thousand for each head.

Wesley rarely accepted offers like this. Usually, he just hunted and exterminated the likes of them when he had the chance, but not this time. He needed the money. His savings were on the verge of running out, and he wasn't planning on going back to AVH right away. He was still not able to complete what he had to do, the reason why he even upped and left in the first place. His older brother, Harry, had disappeared a year before and he just got a tip as to where he might be.

Besides, he had been watching the subjects for almost a week. They were exactly bloodthirsty monsters he always believed they were, although they seemed newly turned. They had sucked the living days out of a young man yesterday, someone probably the same age as him. Wesley was too late. He grimaced and brushed off the thought. Nothing of the past would distract him tonight.

His digital watch showed it was ten minutes to nine. The vampires came to this very spot at around nine in the evening or so, perhaps waiting for something that never came. 

"So, who called you for this job?" Alexa asked.

"The benefactor chose to be anonymous," he answered. Wesley could care less. The other sides of his transactions in the past months mostly wished the same.