Money (That's What I Want)

"God I can't wait for these holidays to come" Abby said one morning as we left the house for school.

"Only two weeks left now" I reassured her, excited that we would be free from school at last, even if it was only for two weeks.Then I remembered what had been playing on my mind that morning and asked Abby a question, in the hope that she would be able to help me out in my predicament. 

"Abby?" I asked, looking at her. 

"Yeah?" 

"What do you think I should get Paul for Christmas?" 

She turned to face me, "Um, I dunno, you know him best, what does he like?" 

I thought hard about everythingI knew about Paul and after some consideration the one thing I said was: "Music." 

"Music" Abby repeated. "We'll have to think of something" she mused "I want to get something for John too." 

When Abby and I got on the bus we discussed present ideas for the boys. Records came up, as did guitars but Abby and I both agreed that guitars were expensive and between us what with my modest savings and Abby's piggy bank being destroyed along with the rest of her belongings we would barely be able to afford one of those cheap models sold in the music shop in town. So we quickly dismissed that idea and moved on. We were having trouble finding more ideas for the rest of the bus journey and the same would be said for the rest of the school day. 

Abby promised she would think more throughout the day and I agreed to do the same. Although we still had time to get eh boys presents I didn't want to leave things till the last minute - I wanted to make sure I would get a present for Paul that would bring out that dazzling smile of his. 

After school when Abby and I both got back to mine we greeted Dad and I asked him if he had any ideas for what to get for Paul. Although as I had predicted, he said that I was the one who knew him bets and that he was sure I would think of something. 

When we got up to my room I told Abby that we'd better make a start on our science homework or Sir would be on our case. Abby was reluctant but I told her that the sooner we would get it done, the sooner we could think of Christmas ideas for John and Paul. Eventually she gave in but, as I always assumed, not for her benefit but to please me. As I've said before, Abby wasn't stupid or unintelligent, far from it in fact, she just didn't agree with school and the whole education system. 

Abby was bright, very bright, as people noticed in her from a young age, as I noticed in her. But she would never concentrate in school. She thought the whole thing was a waste of time. She would regularly cut class and refuse to work in lessons. I had come to the conclusion long ago that Abby was too bright for school. The lessons didn't present a challenge for her so she gave up years ago. Teachers tried to get her to focus on her studies but she had a short attention span and grew bored easily. 

I suppose considering the type of parents Abby's mum and Dad were it was hardly surprising that they were frustrated with her. They themselves had both gone to university and the only reason Abby was at QuarryBank and not a private school was because she refused to go to one, saying that she wanted to be around normal people and not a bunch of "toffs". It seemed evident that they wished the same pathway for Abby that they had gone themselves but many a time her parents were called in to see the Head and he had told them she was going nowhere. 

But I had always had faith in Abby. I knew she would get somewhere, wherever she wanted. She had guts, smarts and a fair bit of chat but better that she had charm. I had never seen anyone talk their way out of a situation like Abby could.