Yer Blues

The end of the day came even eventually and that meant Casbah time again. I had no idea what I would say to Paul if he struck a conversation with me but I remained hopeful that words would just come out of my mouth like a normal person. I didn’t want to have a repeat of my ‘standing there mesmerised by Paul’s looks and unable to speak just sigh’ incident the second time we spoke.                

Abby was waiting for me by the school entrance and we linked our arms and talked about the eventful as they were. Nothing exciting ever really happened in our classes although today a boy called Jimmy Green got caught with a funny drawing of the English teacher Mr Michel but not before it had been passed around the entire class.                                                                                                                   

As we approached the Casbah I felt a weird tingle of excitement and nervousness.                   

“You okay?” Abby asked, looking at me.                                                                                                                               

“Yeah I’m fine why?”                                                                                                                                                    

“It’s just you’ve got a smile on your face and I’m trying to work out if my hair has done something weird or you just enjoy smiling to yourself.”                                                                                                       

I laughed. “Neither” I said, somewhat mysteriously. However that small tingle seemed to fizzle out as quickly as it had come as we entered the Casbah and I couldn’t see Paul sitting with the two other guys.                                                                                                                                                                                

“Where’s Paul?” I whispered to Abby.                                                                                                                  

“I dunno, he’s probably around here somewhere, like at the toilet or something.” She said back.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

We walked towards the table where the two guys from yesterday were sitting outside, minus Paul. As we approached the guy that I remembered was called John jumped up out of his seat to greet us.                                                                                                                                                                                  

“Afternoon ladies I’ll get another chair” he said as he indicated to Abby to sit in his chair. I took the one next to her.