19. A lab, and a rat

Ash

The open expanse of the farm land was something that I had limited experience with. I was used to the four walls of a room, a ceiling and of course, barricaded windows.

The sheer openness was something that unsettled me, I couldn't help the bubbling anxiety that was playing in the back of my mind. This would take a while getting used to. There was no place to hide if a zombie popped out from the ground, or skydived in from above.

My hands worked slow, burying the seedling in the soft soil, creating life. The work was hard, but my mind drifted. I could get used to this life. Of feeling protected, and safe. My mind unintentionally drifted back to last night. I felt a blush colour my cheeks, and a smile sneak onto my face. I felt a sense of contentment, a serenity, a feeling I hadn't felt in such a long time.

An approaching ruckus made me lift my head. A group of around ten armed men were coming towards our little group on the plain. They were all armed, and walked determinedly towards us. My heart gave a lurch, what had happened?

I watched as Murray heaved himself from the dirt floor, approaching the men.

"We just want the girl, who goes by the name of Brooke." One of the strangers said.

The old man moved between the soldiers and I, his frail form protecting me.

"Murray—" I started,

"Move Murray, this has nothing to do with you." Another said.

"Sure it does. This is my worker. I need her here" one of the soldiers merely pushed him out of the way, easily knocking him to the floor. The men forcibly grabbed my arms, easily lifting me off the ground. My limbs had turned to jello, and my stomach was rolling. My fear and sadness had leeched the fight from my bones. They knew, somehow they knew.

Murray had pulled himself to his feet and moved close, but was pushed violently back, he stumbled on the soft ground and fell once again.

I tugged at the soldiers holding me, and their grip tightened,

"Stop it, I'm coming with you and I'm not even fighting you. Leave him alone" the workers on the farm had begun to draw closer, curious about the conflict and wary of the violence.

"Get back to work people!" a soldier called, as the group began to lead me away.

I could see Murray struggling to get up off the dirt, his old body fighting gravity. I quietly thanked him for trying.

Trevor met us halfway.

"Well well, Ashyln Strider, if I'd have known I was in the company of a celebrity I would've rolled out the red carpet." He said with a big grin on his face.
"What did you do to Will"

"You're little protector isn't in the best shape at the moment. That, and he is being loaded into the back of a van to be taken far, far away from here ."

"You see, the entire DC military is searching the city for you two. Or 3. Was it you two that killed the real Brooke, or was that just a lucky accident."
I didn't answer, stuff answering this guy's questions.

"Not very co-operative are we?" he paused as if waiting for a response.

"No matter, it's not like we need your permission. Take her to the lab. " I felt my eyes widen -  a lab? The horror bubbled up in my mind, yet I forced it down. It felt like fate...i would always end up on a slab, poked and prodded,  I would find out soon enough.

The men pulled me along.

I felt tears rise in my eyes, This is not going how it should have.

I guess I had gotten my wish. Seemingly I was nothing more than a prize. There was no point in struggling, I was surrounded.