15. acting

Ash

I awoke with a roaring pain in my skull. My hand reached up to cup the swollen bump on my forehead, I let out a soft groan.

Why was it so painful?

"Ash! Hey, how are you!" a familiar voice called. I looked over with bleary eyes, my dizzy eyes landing on Will. We were in a hospital room of some kind, with beds and machines I've never seen before. He was on a bed, similar to mine.

"Ash, you have to listen to me, the nurse will be coming back soon" I tried to focus my muddled mind, where are we, a nurse? Did Jeremy and the others find us?

"Listen, Your name is Brooke, We were on a supply run from Washington dc to Panama city. There was an infestation of the highway, we had to leave, and enter the regular city, We were in an accident, our colleague and friend Allison died. "

My head slumped against the pillow, so have we not found Jeremy and the others?

"Ash?"

"umm yeah. Brooke"

He visibly relaxed, letting his own head slump back against the pillow.

I struggled to remember the accident, the bridge, and a fall. Somehow we had survived that fall. I remember the cold, the freezing water, and the embankment. Will had pulled me from the wreckage.

"Thanks for getting me out of the car" I said with a croaky voice. He nodded simply,

"You would've done the same for me" he smiled at me, a cute smile which revealed a set of dimples. Like a strike of lighting I remembered the kiss. Oh gosh, the embarrassment. Was I a bad kisser. I probably made a fool of myself, its not like I had had much practice. I turned my face away, feeling a blush colour my cheeks.

"Oh goody, you're awake honey, we were worried there for a moment." A woman said as she strolled into the room.

She carried a tray of food, which she gave to Will.

"So Brooke, how are you feeling?" she asked as she came over to me. She was a middle aged woman, with long brown hair turned up in a messy bun. Her face looked concerned as she felt my temperature.

"Okay I guess, my head really hurts" she examined me,

"That is to be expected, you hit your head pretty hard. I can bring you some pain killers, would you like some food to?"

"Yes please" I said, realising the gnawing hunger in my stomach. She gave me a smile and headed for the door,

"By the way, my name is Heather, and if you need anything just give a shout, I'll just be in the next room. Trevor, the leader of this compound is going to want to talk to you both, now that you're both feeling better. " she said, and ducked out of the room.

"Why don't we tell them who I really am?" I whispered at Will.

"I've heard stories about this compound. Most of them not good. I don't trust them with you." he said

"Aren't they all the same?" i asked

"Look, I know this isn't a good place. This Trevor guy, is insane, I don't know how he is still in power."

"He can't be that bad" I felt like it was one of those moments where you think 'I'll regret saying that later'.

But, as the day progressed, the meal delivered had been breakfast, nobody but Heather came to visit us. The room was our tiny world, with everything beyond the door sealed off.