12. There is an awful lot of walking in this zombie story

Lily

I woke to darkness. I had forgotten where I was, and nearly fell off the branch beneath me. I slumped backwards, leaning back against the trunk behind me. What a nightmare.

It was probably for the best that I woke up when I did, as there was a growing light from the approaching dawn.
After a quick breakfast, I packed up my things and climbed down the tree. The area was silent, the birds were not yet up and about.
This time the bike was easier to start. The little blinking fuel can winked at me, warning me of the impending end.
The engine roared beneath me, and I flew.
The sun rose over the treetops, its beautiful pink rays hinting at a beautiful clear day.
However it wasn't long before the engine began spluttering, wheezing and finally died.
The road stretched on in front and behind me, the fields hiding any approaching danger.
The sheer peril I was in finally became apparent to me. I had two clips of ammo, a grenade, a few days worth of food, a flashlight, a radio, and a box of matches, and of course my gun.
I left the bike in the middle of the road, standing watch.
I hurriedly continued up the road.
Who travelled by foot. What kid travelled by foot. Who ever made it. I am literally nowhere, with no idea where I am.
I continued walking, following the road for any sign, or change in scenery.
By mid morning the sun was already scorching it's way through the sky. The fields that used to grow here were long overgrown, with trees and weeds cutting up through the vegetation. I had just spotted a zombie cutting through the undergrowth, halfway through the next field. It limped and stumbled, seemingly injured. For the moment it was no concern to me.
The fields grew denser with thicker plant life. If I were to walk through that, it'd be really noisy, and alert anything of my approach. If I stayed on the old cement road, I at least have a lookout or even a mild warning.
The road continued on. Unending into the distance. The only sign of human habitation had been a barn, a burnt out car and the power lines rigged overhead.
A rustling in the vegetation made me pause. It only grew. I hurried my steps, trying to keep my foot falls quiet. The sound was behind me, but it was growing closer. It was running.
I glimpsed behind me, catching a look at the figure that sprung from the side of the road.
I was so focused on what was behind me that I didn't see the crack in the pavement. The crack wasn't big, but it was enough to catch the side of my shoe and throw me off balance. I felt and heard the crack of my ankle, the pain blooming as I felt myself fall.
I slammed into the ground, my leg caught awkwardly beneath me. I glimpsed back to see the figure having spotted me. It watched.
I struggled to get myself upright, breathing ruggedly. I tried to lift myself with my injured ankle, feeling the pain jolt through my lower leg, slamming up into my hip.
The run I had intended for, was only a pitiful walk.
I wasn't going to be able to get away.
I would have to use my gun.
I would use it, and it would alert anything else in the area. But hopefully it would give me time to get away.
I stopped and slowly turned.
The zombie was walking calmly towards me. It walked with confidence. It's eyes hungrily, but smartly focused on me.
A black, tar like liquid, oozed from its mouth, and dripped onto the tattered remains of what could only have been a business suit.
I swung my bag around, pulling my gun out.
Recognition flickered in its eyes. It hurried it's pace.
Safety off, I raised the gun to the approaching creature.
I fired.
The shot hit the creatures chest, and only seemed to infuriate it. It ran.
I fired again. And again. The shots missing it's skull.
Clouds of pink mist puffed from the creature as the bullets tore into flesh.
The bullets weren't affecting it. It was closing the distance.
It was only a few feet away.
I fired another bullet, aiming for the spot between its milky eyes.
The bullet pierced it's skull, spraying brain and blood from the hole in the back of its head.
It's eyes dimmed, its limbs losing control.
The momentum kept the creature moving forwards, hurtling towards me.
The gross and smelly body landed on top of me with a thud. It's head connected with mine, making mine slam back into the pavement.
My vision swirled, black spots creeping in. My arms grew limp, my legs heavy, and my vision darkened as I slipped into unconsciousness.
I don't know how long I lay there for but I awoke to the sounds of an engine. It's distant rumbling grew closer, until I could feel the brilliance of headlights against my closed eyelids.
I heard the sound of a door opening, and hurried footsteps. I felt the tug of a hand around my arm, a hand trying to pull my gun from my hand.
I called out, weakly trying to pull the gun back towards me.
The person dropped my hand in shock, calling out
"Ness! This person's alive!", the girl pushed the literal dead weight off of my aching body, exposing me to the evening air.
The pain was renewed in my tired muscles, making me gasp in pain.
"Are you sure?" a voice from the car called out, their voices continuing.
"well, if you're sure, check her for bites"
" She's covered in blood! I can't tell." the closer voice replied, as a hand continued rubbing down my exposed arms.
" This is not protocol"
"A life is more important"
"What about our lives" the other replied, as the voice from the car came to join the voice beside me.
" We're here. I refuse not to help"
A hand touched my face, gently brushing my hair aside.
"looks to be barely a teenager. What is she doing out here?"
A hand opened one of my eyes, a horrible bright light assaulted my vision. I shied away from the pain that only reinvigorated my headache.
"Jess, help me carry her to the car. She's clean," there was a pause "Well you know, not clean, blood soaked and covered in scum, but you know what I mean"