Chapter Nine

Liz and I entered the maze through the East Door, after packing a quick lunch and eating a snack. My heart pounded with excitement and slight fear.
You've just entered the door to your death. Congrats, Hazel.
Will that voice ever shut up? Sighing, I jogged to catch up with Liz who had just turned right around a massive wall.
"This is Section 4 of the maze, the section you'll be running with me. Originally, I run Section 8, but the Sprinter who sprints here doesn't want to sprint anymore, so you will be doing this one. I used to run in this one before I became a Guardian, hence why I'm sprinting with you here."
"Ok, but what are the Sections?" I asked, confused slightly.
"You'll see, later. Now let's go!" Liz sped down the maze corridor. I sprinted behind her, taking in the surroundings.
Tall, stone grey walls loomed over me, so tall that the thick green ivy only climbs halfway up it. It was dull, yet eerie. I was astonished that the sunlight could actually lighten up the maze.

We ran for a few hours, stopping for a snappy lunch break in between. Sometimes we sprinted, sometimes we jogged and other times we walked.
I was the one cutting vines and throwing them on the floor (which would help us get find our way back) and Liz led the way. We occasionally stopped off to take notes.
"The maze changed every night when the doors close, therefore the Sprinters take notes and then when we get back to the Spring, we go to the Mapping room and map out our sections. Then we look at the past few maps and see if there is a a pattern and find a way out."
"Any luck? Are you close?"
"No."
I sighed. They've been here for two years, maybe they at least found a pattern?
After Liz and I took a few notes of the positions of the walls, we went on another sprint to see if we covered everything.
"Taking it all in?" Liz asked.
"Yup. Now that I've taken a good look at the section I-"
A loud, deadly screech cut me off, the sound of two knife blades rubbing together, leaving a metallic ring in the air.
"Griever. They don't come out in daylight!" Liz gasped. She pushed me against the wall. I slammed back I go it, the air in my lungs being knocked out. I regained my breath, and peeped around the corner to see a jelly like slug with metal spikes and hair protruding from its slimy blubber, rolling in our direction. Mechanical arms stuck out here and there, each one for a different purpose. A few had glowing lights attached to them.
Click, click, whirr was the sound it made as the Griever rolled towards us.
I was going to die.