Chapter One

I jolted up and gasped for air. Horrendous squeaks and ear-bleeding creaks were the only sounds I could hear. Sweat dripped down my forehead and more collected in my palms. Where am I? What's my name?
Hazel.
My name is Hazel. That's it. I can't remember anything else. I looked at my surroundings and saw that I was in a rusty, dark rattling lift with boxes of all sizes crowding around me. How did I get here? I thought hard about it, but nothing came to mind. Maybe someone put me here; but what would they get out of that?
Confused, tired and annoyed, I hunched up into a ball, closed my eyes tightly shut, and waited until the lift came to a stop.
***
A loud creak awoke me, followed by thumps and whirring. Lifting my head slightly, I realised that the roof of the lift was trembling and that the never ending journey finally concluded. I waited in silence until a thin strip of light beamed from a crack in the lifts roof, then a blinding light shone powerfully into the box, making me hunch into a ball again.
Thump, thump, thump.
About three people jumped into the box with me, scuffling around and collecting the boxes. I didn't dare look up, scared they might kill me. A foot then softly kicked me in the side. I took a deep breath and looked up, shielding my face from the light and made out the shape of a person towering over me. Just then everything came into focus and there stood a dark-skinned girl, her hair cropped to her head.
"You okay, Newbie?" She asked politely. I nodded.
"Good. I'm Harriet. Welcome to The Spring."

(A/N: Chapters sooo short I know 😁 Hope you like it)