Chapter Twenty-Three: Are You With Me?

A/N

Guys... I'm sorry, okay?! I didn't mean to break your feels (well... I say that...) Long story short, I'm sorry and I hope I make up for it in this chapter...

Also... I'm gonna be adding media to chapters from here on out, be it songs or pictures... And it'll probably just break you more... Sorry D'x

(why do I do this to you guys... As well as myself)

Enjoy the chapter ^^

Peace out, my lovely peeps!XxX

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIN'S P.O.V

I was having a great sleep. Nice and peaceful for probably the first time since I became a damn ghoul. However, that much appreciated serenity is soon shattered not by the call of the morning. More like the feeling of one of my ribs snapping in half. The second the agony splinters through my torso, I awaken with a pained yelp, jumping out of sleep in a matter of seconds so that I'm able to figure out what the hell is attacking me whilst I'm trying to catch up on needed rest. 

However, I find myself extremely shocked when I notice that I'm still in my bed, clamped in Kaneki's arms, though his grip on me is so tight, I can barely breathe, my torso aching terribly. Shit... He must be having a nightmare! This notion is only confirmed when he whimpers again, increasing the clamp that his arms have on me until I feel yet another one of my ribs crack, encouraging a second cry of agony to tear from me. I have to wake him up; if I don't, who knows how many of my freaking ribs he's gonna break?

"K-Kaneki. You gotta... You gotta wake up!" I hiss between my gritted teeth, trying to push down the pain so that I can pull my boyfriend out of the vice-like clutches that his nightmare clearly has on him, a terrified scream suddenly ripping from him so that it can tear through the silence that was previously filled with his echoed pants. Hearing him like this is enough to break me; he sounds so afraid and alone. He's in agony. "Kaneki! It's not real! Wake up!" I yell a little louder over his wails of fear, though it hurts immensely to do so, my broken ribs complaining as I do. Well what other choice do I have? I need to wake Kaneki up before this nightmare completely consumes his mind!

Just when I think I'm gonna need to sit up and physically shake him awake, I hear a sudden hitched breath rip through the air behind me, Kaneki's arms releasing me instantly as he bolts upright. However, he soon slams his back against the wall that our bed's pressed up against, his breaths being pulled into his lungs in thick shrieks that signal hyperventilation. Partnered with the way his hands are viciously shaking, I can only guess that he's having a panic attack, his eyes staring blankly ahead as if there's something horrifying awaiting him on the floor.

With panic filling me, I crawl over to him, ever so gently wrapping an arm around his shoulder so that I can hold him against me, his entire body quivering whilst he refuses to look away from that one spot on the ground, not even noticing that I'm cradling him as softly as I can. "It's alright, Kaneki. It was just a nightmare. It wasn't real," I whisper gently into his ear, though it makes no difference; he's still unresponsive, his trembling never ebbing whilst he continues to suck in breaths at an alarming rate. I have no idea what to do. What the fuck do I do?! He's freaking out and I can't stop it!

"I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to. I-I couldn't choose. I didn't mean to," Kaneki starts whimpering from under my arm, his shaking starting to get even more vicious to the point where I'm scared that he's having a fit or something. I can't just sit around and do nothing! I have to get help!