Chapter Thirteen: Counting Stars

A/N

ALL YOU SHIPPERS

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER RIGHT NOW

BECAUSE IT'S TIME

That is all

Enjoy the chapter ^^

Peace out, my lovely peeps!XxX

----------------------------

KANEKI'S P.O.V

I had no idea that Rin's flesh tasted this way; despite being something that other ghouls aren't supposed to feed on for fear of becoming a kakuja, I can't help but find the essence that his blood holds completely addictive. Weaving over my tongue and down my throat in scarlet ribbons, Rin's blood leaves a sweet taste in its wake, bringing me a euphoric rush that I can't say I've felt before.

Open your eyes. A voice in the back of my head echoes, though I desperately shove it down into the corner of my brain that it's trying to emerge from, continuing to rip his flesh away from his bones whilst I gasp down breaths of ecstasy. Look at him. It hisses, making its feeble attempt to halt me, though I can't deny that it slows me down, my desire to consume more of Rin's flesh beginning to ebb a little. Why should I stop? I've been depriving myself of what I need for so long. And, with each new mouthful, I feel power start to swell through me again, as if it's bringing me back to life. But it's wrong. You're hurting him. Open your eyes, dammit!

With a sharp gasp, I instantly break away from Rin's body, gulping down oxygen whilst my pulse jumps into overdrive, my mind still trying to recover itself from the haze of blood-lust that devoured me the second Rin exposed his flesh to me. The second that happened, I lost it. I know I did. Because, when I allow myself to finally look in Rin's direction, all I'm able to see are splatters of crimson everywhere, his blood staining each individual surface that surrounds him. Including myself.

Upon my body, I wear a layer of the ruby liquid that I siphoned from him, the colour clouding over the innocent ivory of my skin to taunt me about the monster I've become. The one that I've tried to suppress for so long. But I was weak; I allowed it to consume me and now Rin's suffering because of it.

"Rin?" I whimper, placing a shaking hand on his uninjured shoulder, the one that he allowed me to feed from pretty much mauled, making it appear as an ugly assortment of ripped flesh and slick blood that refuses to stop flowing. However, he gives me no response, his eyes sealed shut, causing his dark eyelashes to emphasize the paleness of his skin.

Biting down on my lip, I try to shake him awake, my trembling only increasing when he doesn't show me any signs that he's alive. "Rin please wake up!" I beg, tears rolling from my eyes from the fear that's welling in my stomach. He can't be dead; I didn't go that far... Did I? "Wake up, dammit!" I whisper, giving up in my efforts when he refuses to shift in any way at all, though a small groan of what I can instantly determine as pain whines from his throat, a sigh of relief escaping me. But that doesn't excuse the fact that I've torn his shoulder to shreds.

With no other choice but to do so, I gradually get to my feet before I bend over and wrap my arms around him, cradling him against my abdomen, which has fully healed, though my shirt's still torn and has blood coating the fabric. Even still, I press him closer to me, holding him as if he's more fragile than a baby, as I slowly make my way back to my apartment, hoping with all my heart that he'll heal as quickly as possible so that he's not in agony for any longer than he needs to be. Because I can't bear it knowing that I'm the one that caused it.