chapter eight ; problem

Today was the day Brayden planned to reveal his feelings for Sierra.

After much convincing from Megan that Sierra felt the same way, Brayden finally decided to do it. He would start off the day flirting with her, showing her that he is attracted to her, and that he cares.

Brayden knew that Sierra would be up the earliest in the house, so he went ahead and woke up way earlier than she does everyday. He got in the kitchen quietly and started cooking a meal for everyone.

He made some pancakes, making Sierra's special by cutting hers into hearts and adding chocolate chips. Right when he finished, he heard a yawn behind him. Brayden whipped around quickly, expecting to see the girl he likes behind him. Instead, there was his mom.

"Hey, Brayden. What are you doing up so early?" She asked.

Brayden awkwardly scratched the back of his head. "Breakfast..." He then saw his mother reaching out to get one of the heart shaped pancakes, which resulted to him slapping her hand away. "Mom! That's for Sier!"

"Oh..." She then looked confused, until realization flickered in her. "Oh! My baby's got a crush!"

"Yeah..." Brayden replied. "I'm asking her on a date today!" He decided to say.

"Ah, so that is what this is about..."

The look on his mom's face got Brayden all worried. "Please don't tell anyone, mom. I want this to be a surprise."

He expected to hear his mom's voice, but instead, his heart dropped when he heard Sierra's. "I love surprises!" Brayden whipped around to the sound of her voice. "Who's the surprise for?"

Brayden's eyes widened, and his heart started beating quicker due to Sierra's beauty. "Uh... It's for you! I made you pancakes! For... All the hot choco you made me." He then reached out for the plate of chocolate chip, heart-shaped pancakes, but because of nervousness, he took the plain one and handed it to Sierra. She smiled warmly at him and started eating.

That was when Leah entered the kitchen and asked for the plate of heart pancakes. When Sierra notcied her sister eating this special looking breakfast, she couldn't help but wonder. "Leah? Where'd those come from?"

"Brayden, duh." Leah replied, food spilling out of her mouth.

Sierra swore she heard her heart breaking in that moment. Brayden made Leah heart-shaped pancakes with chocolate chips? She thought, shaking her head and frowning.

Meanwhile, Brayden curses himself for handing out the wrong plates. He's just not convinced that it was not a big deal, just by the look on Sierra's face. Uh-oh, breakfast just got awkward.

When everyone finished eating, Sierra abruptly stood up and announced that she'd be heading out to meet with Megan. Brayden didn't even have the chance to speak to her; he was really bothered by Sierra's look of confusion. He sighed.

"What happened, baby?" His Mama asked. "Why were you and Sierra so down? Didn't you give her the hearts?"

Brayden just looked down and shrugged.

"It's going to be okay. I swear, she likes you back."

Brayden only hoped.

Sierra slammed the front door.

She quickly headed out to the park, after texting Megan to meet her there, of course. She really hoped her friend would be awake by now...

When she arrived at the playground, she sat down on the swing she usually stays at and started thinking while waiting for Megan.

I don't understand. Why does everyone tell me that Brayden likes me, when he really likes Leah? I mean, it was obvious with the pancake. It was a heart! And of course Leah would be picked over me. Why did I not see this before I started harboring feelings for him? I am so stupid. Boys are stupid with their mixed signals. Brayden is stupid for being so nice and attractive.

Sierra didn't even notice her tears until she heard a voice from beside her. "Hey, Sier."

Her eyes widened. Out of all the people... Why was Brayden there? She was just thinking bad about him and he appears!

"Why are you crying?" His voice softens as he saw her face. Brayden reached out to wipe the tears. "You can tell me, you know... If it was about breakfast, I am so sorry."

Sierra frowned at the boy beside her. She was going to give him the silent treatment but what he said was just too confusing. "Why would you be sorry for liking my sister?" She awkwardly laughed. "I mean, I don't really care. It's not like I like you or anything!"

"You don't like me?"

"Nope, not at all! I mean, yes! Duh. And not just like a friend..." Dumb girl. Sierra told herself. Had I really just admitted my feelings?

"So you have feelings for me?"

"Yes, Brayden! I mean... I can't, because of Leah. If you like her more than me, then go ahead. She's prettier anyway and more outgoing and fun. Definitely your type."

"What? That's not-"

"No. Stop it. I'm okay with it, I swear."

"Sier-"

"Brayden, it's fine. Leah will love to be with you."

"For fuck's sake, Sierra! Are you fucking blind? Megan was right... You are naive." He muttered that last sentence, hoping Sierra didn't hear. Luck was not on his side, though.

Hot tears streamed down Sierra's face. "What's that supposed to mean?" She whispered, breathing heavily, feeling hurt.

Brayden then realized what he said, and how harsh it sounded. "Oh, shit, Sierra. I'm sorry. I didn't mean any-"

"Please, never talk to me." She whispered once again, then ran far, far, away. Just kidding, she went back to the house.

And here Brayden thought today was going to be a marvelous day. Dumb boy. He thought. Did I really just say those words to the girl I'm falling for?