chapter seven ; jealousy

"Hey, Sierra. Remember that time in the first grade when I called you ugly?"

"Yeah, I cried. And then we made it into an inside joke when I started calling you that in fifth grade!"

"Also when I asked you to marry me using a candy ring."

"I said no to that! The candy was good though. How about when you broke my Tamagotchi and I punched you?"

"Ah! That... Hurt."

That's when Sierra started laughing again.

A month passed since Megan and Sierra had that conversation about feelings and such, and when Brayden realized why he likes her. Throughout that, Brayden kept sneaking glances at Sierra's beautiful face, but he still couldn't tell her how he feels.

As of now, they were just both laying down on the couch and reminicing about the events that occured before Sierra moved. Both of them felt like they were getting closer again; like they were becoming the best of friends again. Only this time, they wanted something more, just without admitting it to each other.

Also in that month, Sierra and Brayden shared with each other the things they did when they weren't together for the past years. They talked about Brayden's online friends and Sierra's cousins and Leah's crushes and Mitch's ex-girlfriends and just about everything else.

"Sier? What do you feel about going out for lunch?" Brayden looked over at the girl opposite him and waited for an answer.

She widely smiled and nodded, bolting to her room to get her wallet. "I'm paying!" Sierra shouted once she got out of her room.

Brayden frowned when he saw her waving her wallet around. "No way! The guy always pays..."

"Yes... But that only happens during romantic couples' dates."

That made Brayden's heart drop. Did he not make it clear enough that he asked her out on a date? "I guess." He just said before opening the door.

They walked to a diner, which was awkward for Sierra since almost everyone who they passed knew Brayden. She didn't know whether to introduce herself or just stand there and smile. Once she saw another person approaching, she sighed and hoped that this is the last one.

A beautiful girl walked towards Brayden and hugged him, making Sierra feel uncomfortable. She wasn't sure if it was because she's naturally awkward or because she was kinda jealous, which she would never admit to herself, of course. "Brayden! Hey! I haven't seen you in forever!"

The boy laughed. "Uh, yeah, Kelly. It's been two months, huh?"

"Yes! Why don't you text me to hang out anymore?" She pouted. How cute... Not.

"Er... I'm busy most of the time." Brayden then glanced at Sierra to make sure she was doing just fine.

Then Kelly suddenly glared at Sierra and made a look of disgust. She turned back to Brayden, seeming to hope that he didn't see. "Oh. Well, just call if you want company!" She winked and pulled Brayden into a kiss. Just on the cheek, of course. Sierra would have walked out if the kiss was on the lips. Wait, I would? She thought.

Of course you would, look at you now. It wasn't even on the lips and you're already balling your fists!

Sierra frowned and looked down at her hands.

Brayden noticed this. "Sier, you okay?"

She got startled by what he asked and stuttered put a response. "T-totally f-fi-fine." She forced a smile and tried to relax her nerves. Why are you feeling this way? This is too much jealousy! Brayden just spoke with a pretty girl and you're already ready to punch her? She asked herself.

"Sure?"

"A hundred percent. I'm starving, though. Where to?"

"Just around the corner here!"

They turned, and there stood a diner where they walked into. The both of them sat down, Sierra asking what the best food is and what she should order. Brayden suggested something for the both of them, calling a middle aged waitress afterward. Brayden stated their order to her.

When she scurried back to the kitchen, Brayden excused himself. "Sier? I'll just go to the comfort room, will you be okay?"

"Course, you don't need to ask so politely." She then giggled, making him grin at her beauty.

"I'll just be quick. See you in a jiff, my lady." Brayden took her hand and pecked it, then headed to the washroom.

That whole time that Brayden was gone, all Sierra could think about is how she would know if he is the one. She always tells herself that her firsts should be with that guy she'd love forever. Should she risk it for Brayden? What if he messes up?

Her thinking was interrupted by the waitress from earlier, who, Sierra admits, she thought was already Brayden. The lady smiled warmly at Sierra while setting down their lunch. "Here's your delicious food. I hope you enjoy your first time eating here."

"It already looks so amazing, I'm sure I will." Sierra shyly spoke.

Before the waitress left, she first gave a crucial piece of advice to Sierra. "You know, I can see you two lasting for eternity. Keep him. I can see the way he looks at you, girl. I know what it is." Brayden then came into view, more specifically, he sat back down on his chair. "Good luck to you both." The waitress has said before disappearing into the bodies of people.

"Back! So what did she say?"

She stayed still for a moment, the waitress' words processing in her mind. "N-nothing of importance!" Sierra stammered, her face red as a tomato. "At all."

Brayden laughed adorably, really not convinced. Whatever the lady said did an impact on Sierra if she's blushing this much. "O... Kay, whatever you say!"

"Aw, I know that tactic! She really said nothing, Bray! You can't use that cheat here!"

"I believe you..."

She was just too cute.

And then he laughed again.