Her fucking boyfriend.

Yep, it must´ve been Drew. And he had motive too. After all, I did beat him at that soccer game of his. Well if this was all the consequences of that, it was well worth it.

´He prefers to stay anonymous.´

Ah, so it was a he. Guess that let Eliza off the hook. ´Ever think ´bout how the one that told you I did it could be the one who did it?´ wait, did that even make sense? 

´Well,´ Swooney then said, ´There is an easy way to solve this, Peterson get Ms Williams for me.´

Mierda,  now I´m fucked. If Eliza told them I wasn´t with her, not only did I lose my alibi, they would also know that I lied.

Tense, I waited until the door finally reopened again.

Eliza was walking behind Peterson, a wondering look on her face. Then her eyes fell on me, those beautiful green orbs, and all thought cleared of her face. It stung, but at least it wasn´t fear anymore.

Eliza focused her attention and gaze at Swooney, who smiled at her.

´Alright, there´s only one thing we want from you Ms. Williams. Do you know where Xavier was yesterday?´

That old bastard. He´d deliberately phrased it that way so Eliza was at a guess what I had told him. No simple yes or no question. Damn.

I looked at Eliza with what I hope were pleading, big brown puppy-dog eyes, but she wasn´t even looking at me.

Her eyes never left Swooney, her face stayed that mask clear of emotion, and I couldn´t hold it any longer.

I was screwed. She wouldn´t lie for me.

´He was with me, actually. We were working on our Geography project. It´s for  Mr. Wrights class.´

I didn´t show the surprise I was feeling, but I was feeling it alright. She had just covered for me. After I ditched her. Well, damn.

Mr. Swooney and coach P looked as  surprised as I was feeling.

´Well then, you´re both free to go.´ 

Before Swooney could say anything else, Eliza had turned and was out of the door before I could stand. I hurried after her.

´Eliza, wait up. Hey, chica, parade por favor.´  the Spanish seemed to work as she stopped her hasty walk and turned around.

´Geez, woman, you sure can walk.´ I told her, though I could´ve easily caught up with her if I ran.

She crossed her arms, pushing up her chichis,  drawing my attention to them once again. A shame that she had to cover them all up.

‘Thank you, chica, I owe you.’ I said to her, and I let my gaze hold the gratitude I was feeling. I couldn’t afford to get in trouble, not now.

‘Look,’ she said, looking me defiantly in the eyes, ‘The only thing I ask in return is that you at least try to put a little afford into this project. I don’t care why you were in the principal’s office or why the hell you didn’t show up yesterday, but…’

I cut her off, ‘I didn’t do it.’

She looked startled, ‘What?’

‘I was in there because some culero trashed the boy’s locker room and blamed me. But I didn’t do it.’

She didn’t even hesitate replying, ‘Then why did you have to use me as alibi?’

I couldn’t help but grin, she was damn feisty for a white chick, she threw me a look that said she didn’t find anything funny at all.