11. The Phone Calls

June 7, 2007 {First Day of The 2007 MLB Draft}
-------------------------

Maddy and I were out of school today because we didn't have a final to take today. Instead, we were chilling at my house with everyone else. We were all out by the pool, whether they were swimming, tanning or sleeping is their own business. I was sitting on the edge of the pool with my legs in the water.

George, Brandon and Maddy were extremely nervous, considering tonight is the first night of the draft. Buster and Joe still have some time before they can enter the draft. The guys could sense the sadness on Abigail, Mercy and I's faces, but they didn't know why we were sad. Because we didn't want our boys to leave, but they would have to when they get drafted to their new teams.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Maddy asked me as he swam up to me. "Nothing Maddy. Im fine." I lied right through my teeth. "You're lying. Now, what's wrong?" He placed his hands on my waist and held me. "I don't want you to leave." I said in what was almost a whisper. "Baby, don't worry about that. I have a plan." He places a gentle kiss to my lips before swimming off.

I stood up and dried off my legs. Walking inside, I grab a bottle of water before sitting on a stool. "So, you feel the same way I do." Abigail says as she sits down next to me. I sigh as I look out the window. "Yeah. I don't want Madison to leave, but I know he's gonna have to." "Im feeling the same way with George right now." She looks outside before looking back at me. "You know something Brittany?" "What?"I asked her.

"I've known Madison for a long time, and I've never seen him as happy as he is with you. When he's with you, you can tell he's happy. He has a sort of sparkle in his eye when you're around." I look out the window and smile when I see Maddy talking to Buster. "Yeah, I guess you're right Abigail. Now c'mon, lets go hang out with the boys." We walk back outside and George grabs her, pulling her into his lap. I sit down in a beach chair and Maddy comes over.

He throws his arm over my body and holds me close to him, like he thought I was gonna leave him. "What are you doing Maddy?" I ask as he starts to plant kisses to the back of my neck. "Just spending time with my amazing girlfriend." I roll my eyes as he places another kiss to my neck.

The guys all had their phones sitting on the table, waiting on them to ring. Buster, Cerina and Brandon climbed out of the pool and started to dry off. We went inside about 1:30 and turned the TV to ESPN2. Brandon, Maddy and George were bouncing up and down in their seats from the nerves.

The draft begins and the guys quickly grab their phones, waiting on that one phone call that would change everything. I intertwined my fingers with Maddy's. "Maddy, calm down." Abigail and Mercy were trying to get George and Brandon to calm down, to no avail.

It was the 8th pick when Maddy's phone rang. "Hello?" Silence. "Yeah, this is Madison." More Silence. "Really? Thank you so much." Even More Silence. "See you then." Madison hangs up the phone and tosses it on the couch. "Well? Who was it?" Mercy asked him.

"That was the San Francisco Giants. They said they would draft me with the 10th overall pick!" He picks me up and spins me around. "Maddy! Put me down!" I squealed. He kissed my lips before we sat back down, him pulling me into his lap. The picks continued to come in and the rounds came and went. Soon, it was the 5th Round.

Another phone began to ring in the room. George grabbed his phone and answered it. He had the same conversation as Maddy pretty much. A smile came to his face as he hung up his phone. "The New York Yankees are gonna draft me! 164th overall!" He placed kisses all over Abigail's cheeks and finally placed one on her lips before he sat back down.

After George got his phone call, Brandon became visibly upset. Mercy tried to comfort him, but it wasn't working. As the rounds continued to fly by, it got worse. When the 11th Round came, Brandon's phone rang. He answered it and went through the whole conversation. "That was the Braves. 348th overall." Mercy gave him a hug but he still wasn't happy.

"Im not gonna sign. Im gonna go to college and try to go higher in the draft next year." Brandon flat out told us. "It's your decision Brandon." I walk into the kitchen and grab some chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. "Follow me if you want S'mores!"

There was a knock on the front door so Maddy answered it. Standing there, was Sam and Kevin. "Right on time guys. C'mon, we're gonna go make S'mores." We walk out the backdoor and out to my firepit.

After lighting the fire and handing out marshmallows and stakes to put them on, we start to roast them. All us girls were cuddled up to our boyfriends while the boys talked about baseball. "2 more days and we'll have graduated. Can you believe it?" Cerina asked us. "No, I can't. Im gonna miss you guys." Sam says.

I look over at Mercy and see her asleep on Brandon's lap. Soon everyone was falling asleep so we went inside and they crashed in random places in the living room. Maddy and I walked up to my room and laid down and soon we were both asleep.
-------------------------------------

Alright, Madison, George and Brandon were not all drafted the same year.

Maddy was drafted in 2007 with the 10 pick (1st Round) by the Giants.

George was drafted in 2006 with the 164th pick (5th Round) by the Yankees.

Brandon was drafted in 2006 with the 343rd pick (11th Round) by the Red Sox, but he didn't sign. In 2007, he was drafted 348th pick (11th Round) by the Braves, but again, he didn't sign. In 2009, he was drafted with the 147th overall pick by the Giants.

Just thought I would clear that up. Remember, they didn't actually go to the same high school either. Im using these MLB players so I have more options for the story.

(1099 Words)