8. The Past Shines Bright

From: Maddy
You awake?

To: Maddy
Yeah, unfortunately

From: Maddy
Im on my way over. Barn?

To: Maddy
Yep

I set my phone down and continue to attempt to get Bravery to eat. "Come on buddy. Just eat something." He turns away from me and I sigh as I set the food down. "Alright. You win." I walk out of his stall and over to King's. Grabbing a brush, I begin to brush through his coat and tail.

Someone wraps their arms around me and buries their head into the crook if my neck. "Maddy! That tickles!" I yelp as his stubble tickles my neck. He laughs as he holds me tighter. "Who's car is that in the driveway?" "My parents. They're home from their business trip." A thought run through my head, making me nervous.

"Maddy, what's todays date?" "April 28th. Why?" I sit down on the ground and pull my knees to my chest. "Bri, what's wrong?" "10 years." I whisper. Maddy sits down next to me and pulls me into his lap. "What's going on?" "Remember when I told you I didn't have any siblings?" I quietly asked him. "Yeah." "Well, that's kinda a lie."

The school bus pulled up to my house and I bounded down the steps. As a 7 year old being cooped up in 2nd Grade Classroom at school all day wasn't fun. I ran up the driveway and saw a strange black car sitting in the driveway. Ignoring it, I opened the door and ran inside, only for crying to be heard. "Mommy! Daddy!" I yell as I run into the living room. There was a man in a military uniform sitting in the chair while Mom and Dad sat on the couch. Dad picked me up and sat me on his lap. "Brittany, you remember how Matthew went away for awhile?" "Yeah! Is he coming home?" I ask, a smile wide on my face. "No baby, he's not. Matthew won't be coming home." My smile disappears. "He's not?" "No baby." I start to cry and Dad tries to comfort me. I didn't understand until I was older that he had died while in battle. We still had his military uniform, and I wear the jacket and boots alot during the Winter season. Matthew was my best friend and on April 28th my parents always came home to visit his grave.

"Bri, what are you thinking about?" Maddy softly asks me. I told him the story about Matthew and he held me while I cried. "Matthew was my best friend. He helped me with everything." I look at the clock and see it's 7:25. Wiping my eyes on my sleeve, I stand up. "We need to get going to school Maddy."

We get to school and walk to homeroom. "Britt! Why have you been crying?" Sam asks me. "Some sad memories I remembered. I'd rather not talk about it." Maddy pushed his desk next to mine and grab my hand from beneath my desk. He intertwined our fingers and rubbed his thumb over my knuckles.

The school day went by quickly and I ran to my locker. Just as I was gonna put my books in my locker, I see a baseball sitting in my locker. "What is this?" I mutter to myself as I pick it up. Spinning it around, I see something written in Sharpie.

I might Strike Out asking but, Will you be my Girlfriend?

Turning around, I see Maddy standing by his locker, watching me. Walking over to him, I wrap my arms around him. "Yes Maddy, I'll be your girlfriend." He leans down and connects our lips, causing me to smile. "I thought we already act like a couple. Might as well make it official." I kiss his lips again.

"I have practice. Do you want to stay and watch or go home?" "I wanna stay." He intertwined our fingers again and then he led me to the baseball field. "Sit here. Practice should last an hour to an hour and a half." He kisses my lips then walks over to the dugout.

Practice quickly ended and Maddy came back over to me. "How did you like that?" "You looked pretty good." He kisses my forehead then leads me to his truck. "When's your next game?" I ask as I grab his hand. "Friday afternoon." "I'll see if I can come to it." We arrive at my house and I peck his lips. "I'll text you later." I hop out of the truck and walk inside.

I take a picture of the baseball and send it to Sam.

To: Sam
LOOK!!!

From: Sam
About time he asked you! You said yes right?

To: Sam
Of course!

From: Sam
Good

I set my phone down and start to do my homework. After I finish it, I walk up to my room and lay on my bed. I turn my head and see a picture of Matthew on my bed side table. Picking it up, I hold it to my heart and tears begin to fall.
---------------------------------

Kinda sad, Kinda not. On the bright side, Maddy and Brittany are funally dating! Let me know what you think of the chapter!

(873 Words)