Day 16: July 14 (Tuesday)

Start from the beginning

"Mario. You know, the brown-haired one that's kinda tan and wears red often," Pauline grins. "I just think he's so cute and so fun to hang out with." I know, Pauline. I know. 

Whoa wait a second, she likes MARIO??? Unbelievable! First, Mario and Rosalina are flirting nonstop. And now, my new friend likes him? But, I like him too! Do all of the girls in this camp have crushes on Mario or what?! 

"Oh, cool," I smile at her, and it's not a genuine smile. "Thanks for trusting me." 

"You're welcome!" Pauline responds. "But, please tell me... Do you know anyone else that likes Mario?" 

"Nope," I lie. 

I'm no longer sure if I can survive being friends with Pauline. 

*after lunch*

~Toad's POV ~

There's a reason why I always have to be around other people, and why I don't like being alone.

Being alone is just boring and sad for me. It's not like I should start talking to myself! And it also leaves me alone with my thoughts, which isn't exactly a good thing.

Right now, I have two main thoughts. The first one is, "go find your friends!". Most of the other guys are nowhere in sight as I walk. Am I really that fast in walking? Everyone is pretty much walking in their little groups. And then there's me, alone with my mood-killing thoughts that I usually ignore when I'm with good company.

And the second thought? It's, "make things right with your sister". Yeah, I feel guilty for arguing with her almost a week ago. I was being a bit too harsh. We've never gone this long without taking to each other. I know we're basically complete opposites, but that just makes her like my other half. 

I think I'm going to apologize to Toadette, sometime today.

Luckily for me, she is several feet ahead of me and she's also walking alone. I try to walk faster to catch up to her. But suddenly, someone pops up beside me.

"Hey, Toad!" Yoshi says. "Why are you alone?"

"Umm, I don't know," I reply honestly. "Where have you been?"

"Behind you the whole time!" Yoshi states. "Come join us."

"Okay," I follow Yoshi to the big group that consists of our friends. 

I'll just apologize to Toadette later.

*two hours later*

We're taking a break from our wilderness backpacking. As I sit with DK and Wario, I sneak a glance at Toadette, who looks at me for a split second and quickly turns away once we make eye contact. I think now is a good time to talk to her.

However, I miss my chance before I can even tell my friends, "I'll be right back". 

"Dettie!" I can hear Peach say from where I am. "Come with me! I need to show you something!" Peach pulls Toadette up from the ground, and the two girls disappear from my sight.

My mind is still set on telling my sister that I'm sorry.

*several hours later*

We stop walking again once we reach the top of a cliff. The sun is about to set, and we're planning to have a campfire and dinner in like thirty minutes. I'm going to make another attempt to talk to my sister.