Chapter 1 (rewritten)

No one could tell you what the Alpha intends to do when the pack is told to send all non-mated females ages 17 to 25 to the town square but then again no one really cares enough to ask.  Packs tend to work like this in the Werewolf world. If the Alpha told someone to run into an erupting volcano then very few things would stop that wolf from blindly following their Alpha's orders. At a young age its embedded into the pups that the alpha is the only absolute ruler, yet no Alpha should purposely put their pack into a dangerous situation.

The energy this evening is high. Mothers and daughters scramble to get presentable. There aren't many non-mated females in the pack but the view left wait anxiously, excitement poking at their sides. 

...

Jamie fidgets, unable to stay still while her mother parts her hair. Each tug of the comb makes her stomach lurch. She can feel an uneasiness settle over her. Something about today was off putting. Jamie's usually over opinionated mother has nothing to say. Her brows touch lightly as she focuses to hard on making the part perfect. The comb drops to the floor as the mother jumps at the sound of a door slamming open. Jamie's father barely mumbles a greeting before he walks up the stairs, eyes glazed over in what must be a mental link conversation. 

Soon after Jamie is ready and her stomach flutters as she walks to the door. Evangeline places her hand on Jamie's shoulder and squeezes. 

"Mom, does something seem off?" Jamie whispers, almost afraid that someone might hear her question.  

The smile that comes to Evangeline's face doesn't reach her eyes and she gently pushes her daughter forward. 

"Trust your gut."  Jamie hears through her pack link.

...

The Alpha and Luna watch all the non-mated females gather in front of them. Luna Miranda can't force a smile on even when she tries. She has always known the day would come but she didn't expect such fear and jealousy to barrel its way into her chest. She wouldn't allow anyone to take her husband from her. Alpha Jack pulls Miranda in closer, kissing her forehead hoping to smooth over the emotions he can feel stirring within her. He knows the affect this situation will have on his mate but it's the price they'll both have to pay for Miranda being barren. It doesn't make sense to him; how a Luna, who's most important job, beside protecting the pack, is to provide an heir couldn't have a kid but he's grown tired of asking that question.

They decided to wait until he the girl to tell her what she's needed for. Alpha Jack intentions are to better the pack but, in all honesty, he rather a bastard heir than allowing another family to fight for the title of Alpha and so he and his mate agreed that she would have to bare the pain of his unfaithfulness in replacement of baring a child.

The Alpha steps off the porch into the group of fifteen or so girls. Eyes bounce between the Luna and Alpha as he announces they should get ready for a sniffing ceremony. For the young lady to bare his pups she will have to be compatible with him or a person of equal power. Only a male can tell who he is meant to mate. Women tend to only be attracted to men like the one they are destined to mate. Generally, males have multiple options, these are called potential mates but it's the stronger scent that he'll chose. Mating an odd thing that hasn't changed much from the original customs and procedures. If a young woman is mated to a boy who has a brother maybe a few years younger than herself then her and that younger brother could have been compatible. It is not uncommon for this to happen, it just means she or another version of her wolf are were destined to be with someone of that bloodline. Another way for a female to be compatible to a male is by rank, if that young woman is destined to be mated to a beta other betas but not all, might also find that she is compatible for them as well.