Eight || What Have I Done?

Start from the beginning

"It's been bothering me for awhile, Master," I say, shuffling my feet beneath me, "but I've been so curious as to how I'm so... strong... with the Force. I mean - my family has been slaves, but not forever. My parents were married on Naboo, like you and Senator Amidala."

Master Skywalker's gaze fell upon me sternly. He wasn't my friend this moment; he was my mentor, and I had to respect whatever answer he had for me. He looked puzzled, the young mentor, but he answered me. "I... That's funny, actually." He crosses his arms and scoffs, almost as if he's trying hard to remember something.

"You're wondering why your midi-chlorian levels are so high, aren't you?" He raises an eyebrow at me and I nod precociously.

"Yes, I am. Is there any way we could find this out? You know, if my family was hiding something?" I regretted my word choice nearly immediately after, but my Master's response put me at ease as we stood in the brightened Council room. He stood a towering figure before me, his dark-shaded tunic resembling mine almost exactly. Looking even more puzzled, Master Skywalker ran a hand through his wavy hair, staring ahead at the door. My mind reflected off his and, like I was able to do perfectly, I saw into his mind. I saw things. I saw what he was trying so hard to remember. I saw his past... his mother, Shmi Skywalker. I saw him, going back for her. Leaving Naboo, an important mission to protect the Senator, to rescue his mother - his enslaved mother, who dies in his arms.

I'm startled by the visions I'm seeing and I stumble back. Not once had Master Skywalker ever said a word regarding his mother, or his former slavery. I knew he was enslaved on Tatooine as a child, but I had no idea about his mother.

At a loss for words, I stare at him, the images of his past replaying themselves in my mind on a loop. I was understanding my Master more day by day, and at this point, I had realized and seen what broke him. Going back for his enslaved mother. Then I remembered back to my last days on Tatooine, months ago, the promises I made to Desmond and my father - I'd be back. And I would do anything to rescue them for the pains of slavery.

Now, I knew I was going to have to go back. I had to. I was going to ask my father questions, but in the long run, I would save him. He deserved to be saved, didn't he? Whether he was keeping things from me and Des all along, he was my father - and I was going to rescue him.

Master Skywalker still stands before me, arms crossed, glaring ahead, thinking hard. I assumed he was unaware I had hacked into his mind like I did frequently, but when he cranes his neck to look at me with narrowed eyes and knit eyebrows, I knew he might have reckoned I had done it.

"Kyla, you're playing a dangerous game," he heaves. "If you're saying we go back to speak to your family on Tatooine..." he turns his gaze away and shuffles his boots.

"That is what I'm saying," I blurt randomly, trying not to irritate him nor anger him. I only want to seem reasonable about this. "Please, Master. I - I saw in your head, flashbacks. I know you probably think going back for them is completely irrelevant and simply stupid of me, but I don't have a choice. I have to know why the Force comes so easy to me, Master. I have to. And this... this is the only way I will." My eyes plead for him to agree, and he looks within me to see this.

He shakes his head and stares at his brown boots. "You're ridiculous. There is no way you're... going back for them, Kyla."

"No! No, Master." I calmed myself before continuing. "That's not what I'm asking of you. I want to go back, sure, but there's no way I can rescue them. I just want to know why I'm extremely capable of so much power, Master. My family must have been hiding something."

At my begs, Master Skywalker turns his gaze towards me again and sighs. "This is insane," he says, but by his facial expression, a new thought occurs to him. "But... I don't have someone to tell me the ways anymore. I don't have anyone to boss me around, to take control of me... If I wanted to help you, my Padawan, I assure you, I could!" I see something in his eyes: the vengeance he once reigned, the power he yearned for and has yet to receive. He was like me. A yearning for power.