Chapter Seven

If it was one thing Anneka was used to, it was being in the public eye. It  came almost as second nature to her.

Up until lately, she had just used it to further her career. But now she was going to be treading a somewhat different path.

This time it would not be all about drawing attention to herself, but a more serious subject, and that was third world poverty. Which was why she was feeling more than a little nervous, when her plans for the charity auction in New York became a reality.

She had advertised and had invited many famous faces from various sections of the celebrity rich and famous, from politicians, musicians, and others from the world of showbiz and films.

Whether they came or not, was another thing.

Katie had helped with most of the organizing, as Anneka had been also been occupied with her job, and as a professional she prided herself in being good at what she did. Her mother fretted and fussed, telling her she was taking on far more than she could handle.

Inga couldn't quite understand why Anneka was suddenly so obsessed with raising money for charity, and why she could not be just satisfied with making a charitable donation to those organisations that already existed instead, of doing all this. But Anneka's steely determination, that she would, and could do this, made all her mother's negativity fall on deaf ears.

So despite the fact it was all very hectic and nerve wrecking, Anneka was delighted when the evening finally arrived. She was even more pleased when the hotel reception room, which she was holding the event started to fill up. Anneka made a mental note, that after Katie had put in such great effort for tonight, she would have to give her a pay rise.

She certainly deserved it after all the hours she had put in to make it a success.

"Well Annie, it looks like you manage to do it after all," Tony greeted her with a hug, as he arrived through the door and spotted her.

"Yes," Anneka replied happily, "We seem to be having a pretty good turn out so far".

"Plenty of people, with plenty of money, just what we wanted," Tony grinned as he glanced around, recognising a lot of famous and wealthy faces in the room.

"Yes, and I am glad you could be here as well," Anneka told him, "After all you are the one responsible for opening my eyes and inspiring me to do all this" she now let her blue eyes flit through the people still coming into the room.

"Did Adrian Crawford get the invitation I send him? is he here?" she then asked.

"Er, well Ade got your invite, I gave it personally to him myself, but um, he isn't here." Tony replied shifting a little uneasily.

"Oh?" Anneka returned a little disappointed.

"Look, he told he to send his apologies, and that it's nothing personal," Tony then hurriedly explained, "he just doesn't like attending these sort of things, where there is a lot of showbiz celebrities, and all that goes along with it. He just doesn't feel comfortable in this sort of environment, he likes to leave it to other people. But he thinks what you are trying to do is great, so you have all his support in what you are trying to achieve."

"I see," Anneka swallowed down her disappointment. She really would have liked him to be there, but she found herself understanding why he wasn't at the same time.

"Anyway, I brought someone else along instead, whom I want you to meet," Tony informed her, taking her arm and leading her across the room, to where a tall woman with short chestnut coloured hair stood sipping her glass of white wine.