Whether You Like It Or Not

“Where are you going?” Bob called out sharply as Gerard began edging away from him.

Gerard jumped guiltily, turning back to face Bob. “The bathroom…” He said slowly, scrunching his nose.

Bob sighed. “Then I guess you wont mind if I wait outside?” he said tiredly. He’d spent the last few days working his ass off, keeping Gerard at Glenside and simultaneously struggling to keep his job. He was on thin ice with the boss and Gerard wasn’t helping matters. If he escaped again, Bob could lose his job. Bob needed his job to pay the bills and feed himself.

“Uhm…I don’t need to go anymore….” Gerard tried with an unconvincing smile.

Bob crossed his arms over his chest. “Sure you don’t,” he sighed. “Silly me, believing you had to in the first pace.”

Gerard blushed bright red and looked down at his scuffed Converse. “I’m sorry, Bob. I just miss him…”

Bob led Gerard over to a set of tables and chairs in the food hall. They sat on opposite chairs and Bob put his head in his hands. “Gerard, I know you love Frank and I know you miss him…but this has to stop. Ok? I’m gonna lose my job soon if you don’t stop tryin’ to escape. I’m on thin ice with the boss. One more thing wrong, I’m gone. Out of here forever.”

Gerard put his head on the table and his hair fell over his face. “I’m sorry, Bob. I didn’t know. I don’t want you fired…”

Ray walked up behind them hesitantly. “Guys…? Am I interrupting something?”

Bob wanted to say yes but he knew that tone in Ray’s voice. His downfall had come and Stacey was home sick for the day. “Come sit Ray. Come on.” Bob gestured for Ray to sit and the big-haired man complied. “What’s up, buddy?”

Ray sniffed and his eyes filled with tars. “Oh Bob, it’s terrible. Stacey is home sick, Owen’s on his break and no-one w-wants to t-talk to me!”

Gerard perked up at Ray’s statement. “Did you say Owen isn’t here right now…?” he asked quickly, eyeing the kitchen dors. Bob shook his head at Gerard and sent him a warning glare. “Sorry…” Gerard mumbled.

Ray dropped his head onto the table and began to sob. “I w-want Stacey back!” he wailed, other patients giving him weird looks. He didn’t notice them all behind him, wondering if they should intervene. Bob walked over and stood behind Ray, shielding him from view. He rubbed Ray’s back, giving the upset man comfort. “She’ll be back to take care of you tomorrow, ok? Ray, she just got a little sick, that’s all.”

Ray’s face turned horrified. “What if she gets more sick? Bob, what if she dies!?”

“Ray, she’s not gonna die, ok?” Bob comforted. “She’ll be back soon, she’s just a little sick.”

Ray fell silent but stayed with is head on the table. Bob sighed and turned to Gerard. “Can you help cheer him up?” he asked tiredly.