Chapter 15

-Cassandra-

"Steven, just please be careful," I said as we were about to part ways. he kissed me gently.

"Always am, you be careful too," he responded tracing a cut down the side of my face. I had a small smile on my face, but pushed him away.

"Go on, go be a hero," I gave a nervous laugh, looking down to the ground.

"We'll be together soon," he smiled.

"And celebrate your birthday together in a few days," I added, he laughed and nodded his head and running off with Sam.

I turned and went the other way towards the other heli-carrier, only to find my path blocked by a member of the STRIKE team.

"Mike," I greeted wide-eyed.

"Odinson," he snarled, causing me to shrink away slightly, he drew his STRIKE bar from his jacket.

"Sorry Cas," he emphasized in a mocking tone, "this isn't personal," he went to attack, but he was to frozen to move.

"Sorry Mike," I repeated to the ice sculpture, "but I'm not sorry," I looked once more than proceeded to run to where the heli-carriers were.

I managed to slip inside one before takeoff. I heard steps behind me. I turned to be faced with a man who was dressed in black from head to toe, his metal arm attracted my eyes. He held his gun out to shoot. I held out my hands in defense. I looked at the face and I instantly recognized who he was. James Buchanan Barnes. Steve's friend.

"James, I don't want to hurt you," my voice coming out in a shaky warning tone. Steve had told me about Hydra and its place in Shield. "But I will if you don't put that gun down."

"That's not my name," he denied. I looked at him strangely. Why was he denying it?

"James, I am a friend of Steve's remember Steve," I managed to keep my voice straight.

"NO! That's not my name," he snarled, shooting at me.

I managed to freeze a few bullets and duck away from the rest, all except one that grazed my side. I caused the entire floor to freeze, knocking him off his balance. I used my fire powers to melt the panel below him, letting him fall on the concrete floor, as the ship began to lift off the ground.

I quickly found the control panel and exchanging one chip for ours. I finally turned my comm on.

"Guys my chip is in place, and watch out for the Winter Soldier he's out for blood," I warned grasping my side running out of the control room.

"Yeah we just met him, he grounded me," Sam replied aggravated.

"Sam continue to take out Hydra in the building. Cas how are you getting out," Steve's voice rang in my ear.

"Don't worry about me Steven. Just be careful, James doesn't have a clue as to who he is," I warned jumping out of the same hole James fell out of. The helicopter that Fury was flying tilted just in time for me to land with a thud. I rubbed my head as Sam's voice kept yelling through the comms.

"Forty-first floor," Sam repeated. The helicopter lurched, jolting me, but catching Sam. "Forty-FIRST floor," Sam emphasized at Fury.

"It's not like they have numbers on the outside of the building," Fury argued back.

-Steve Rogers-

I walked up to the control panel of the third carrier, to find my path blocked.

"People are gonna die Buck, I can't let that happen," I explained myself to the man who used to be my best friend. I saw flakes of ice and singeing on his body. I held back a smirk seeing Cas had already gotten to me. He kept his face neutral, but his eyes were cloudy. Bucky stood there like a statue. "Please don't make me do this," I begged, my heart pounding out of my chest. He gave no response. I gave up trying to reason and chucked my shield at him. Bucky deflected it back with his metal arm and drew his gun, shooting at me. I blocked the bullets to the best of my ability, he managed one blow to my side. I winced in pain, but continued to fight nonetheless. Using my shield I knocked him in the head, thrusting him backwards. He got up unscathed and drew his knife, twirling it around his fingers. I sighed as we went into more fighting. I was having such hard time getting over the fact that this wasn't the same Bucky that I used to know. He was different, he's not the same and that I should kill him. He's killed so many, and he's trying to kill me, why not get him before he gets me? But, there was still a small voice in my head pleading to remind him who he was before HYDRA and that he can be that man again. The James Buchanan Barnes that I would go to the end of the line for. I managed to push him away long enough to enter the passcode on the central control panel. Bucky came charging back at me. I kicked and punched, finally withdrawing the knife from his firm grasp. I pushed him away and grabbed the final HYDRA chip out of the panel. We moved away as Bucky came charging at me pushing me over the railing and causing Fury's chip to fly out of my hand. He punched me hard enough to cause me flip over and slide down a rail, I managed to grab the chip as I slid, but I heard him slide down after me. I lost grip of the chip as it fell to the bottom part of the carrier, I pushed Bucky down after it and I followed last. He landed just grasps reach away from the chip. I had him pinned. I grabbed the chip and started my way up to the panel. I flipped up to the walkway where the panel was as Maria told me I had a minute left to get this damn thing in. I was nearly to control when a shot rang out and I felt a piercing pain in my upper leg. I tried to ignore the searing my pain as I continued to climb. Bucky continued to shoot at me.