Chapter 14

-Steve Rogers-

Sam, Nat, and I all were sitting in the back of a HYDRA van, I was so confused. Bucky was alive, but didn't even remember who he was.

"It was him, he looked right at me, and he didn't even know me," I couldn't comprehend any of the situations I had going on in my life right now. Cas was missing, Bucky was alive, I just couldn't.

"How is that even possible? It was like seventy years ago," Sam asked.

"Zola. Bucky's old unit was captured in '43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did it helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and-"

"None of that is your fault, Steve," Natasha cut me off.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky or Cas and both of them are gone," I sighed. I looked up to see Natasha put her head back in pain.

"We need to get a doctor here," Sam warned, "If we don't get her help she's going to bleed out here in the truck," Sam explained the obvious, but the guards weren't hearing it. One raised its zapper menacingly, then stabbed the other one with it. The guard then proceeded to kick the other in the head therefore knocking guard number two out cold. The first guard removed his, or should I say her helmet to reveal Maria Hill.

"That thing was squeezing my brain," she complained looking around the back of the truck, "who is this guy," she nodded towards Sam. I quickly explained while she cut a hole in the bottom of the truck and we all jumped out into different holes along the street.

"Where are we going," Natasha asked, while we walked through an underground tunnel.

"It's a surprise," Maria replied sarcastically, opening up the door to another truck.

When we got there Maria pulled open the door. I was the first one out helping Nat and Sam was last closing it. We walked into the building and were immediately greeted by a doctor.

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint," Maria told him.

"Maybe two," Sam added.

"Let me take her," the doctor gestured for Nat.

"She'll want to see him first," Maria responded, she pulled back a curtain and lying there in a hospital bed was none other than Nick Fury.

"About. Damn. Time," Fury slightly glared at us. We sat Natasha down and the doctor started working on her.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache," Nick listed.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," the doctor added.

"Let's not forget that," Nick sneered bitterly, "otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open, your heart stopped," Natasha finally spoke again.

"Tetrodotoxin B. It slows the pulse to one beat per minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so well for him but, we found a use for it," Nick said as if it were nothing.

"But, why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us," I asked angrily.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful," Maria shrugged.

"Can't kill ya if you're already dead," Fury spoke, "Besides I wasn't sure who to trust. Hill can you go get her out of that room. I briefed her, but she may cheer up with our new company," Fury ordered.

-Cassandra-

Someone knocked on the door, "come in," I called in a raspy tone.

"There are some people here who you may like to see," Hill told me then left. I quickly got up and followed her out and to Nick's 'hospital' room.

"Hill who are these peo-" i was cut off.

"Cassandra, how nice of you to join us," Fury said sarcastically, gesturing to the room. I looked and saw Nat, Sam, and Steven.

"Cas," Steve smiled.

"Steven," I screamed running into his arms, he laughed as he caught me and squeezed. It hurt my bruised rib, but I didn't care. It felt so good to be in his arms again. "It is so good to see you again," I whispered in his ear. He pulled back smiling, but it soon vanished. "What's wrong?"

"Don't take this the wrong way, but what happened to you face," he asked concern laced through his voice.

"Um, I um, battle with the dark elves, with my brothers," I answered slowly.

"Even Loki," he asked.

"Yes, even Loki who died protecting Thor's...girlfriend," I managed the last bit out.

"Cas, I'm so sorry," Steve held me close. I heard a grunt of pain and I looked over to see Natasha having he shoulder patches up.

"What happened," I asked.

"Bucky," Steve answered

"The Winter Soldier," Natasha and Sam said.

"Well which one is it," I asked looking at Steve for the answer.

"Well the Winter Soldier is Bucky, but not in his right mind," Steven explained.

"Never mind that we need to find a way to take down HYDRA," Nick interrupted.

"And we have a plan," Hill stated matter-of-factly. They began explaining, laptops coming out, showing diagrams, and things that to me were already a given, it also helped Fury had given this speel to me before.

"Maybe we can salvage what's-"

"We're not salvaging anything," Steve yelled, causing me to jump in my place next to him. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D," Steve stated as obvious fact.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this," Nick argued back.

"You gave me this mission," Steve reasoned, letting go of my hand, "This is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s been compromised. You said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"And why do you think we're meeting in this cave, I noticed," Fury mouthed off.

"And how many paid the price before you did," Steve asked. I looked up at to he back from the floor.

"Look I didn't know about Barnes," Fury looked down at the flop like a guilty child.

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes," Steve demanded with finality.

"He's right," I said, speaking up for the first time in the meeting and moving to Steve's side. Fury looked around the room, first to me, then Hill, then Nat, then to Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does only slower," Sam shrugged.

Fury then looked Steve straight in the eye, "Well, it looks like you're giving the orders now captain," Fury submitted, and with that the meeting was adjourned and everyone dispersed leaving Steve and I alone.

Steve turned to look at me. "What," I asked shifting my weight nervously. He came closer and closer to me, so close I could feel his warm breath fanning onto my face.

"I've missed you so much," he said, before capturing my lips with his own. We pulled apart, and rested our foreheads on one another.

"And I you Captain," I smirked.