Chapter 17: I want him badly

(Levi's p.o.v)

The repetitive drumming and splashing sound from soccer cleats in the mud echoed through my ears, numb from the cold. I looked forward through the grey haze of light rain to see Marco Bodt dribbling the ball towards Betolt in goal. He shot the ball, and like a bullet; it whooshed right past Bertolt's outstretched hands. Coach Shadis blew on his shrill whistle and the sound rang out like a high pitched scream.

"Three nil to Oluo's teams! Ackerman! Get here now!"

I kept my face sullen as I trudged over to where the Coach stood, glaring at me.

"Levi, what is wrong with you!? I've seen you play hundreds of times before and I know you can tear up this field and all of the players out there. Today you've barely touched the ball, you're playing like crap!"

I clicked my tongue, and looked up into his shadowed eyes as he stared down at me.

"I can always count on you to relentlessly point out the negative, Coach."

Coach Shadis' eyes flashed in anger and he pursed his lips.

"Just get out there and win this goddamned game."

I turned back and walked back towards the pitch as Erwin threw me a quizzical look.

I tried to ignore him and jogged back to my position further up the field but Erwin came up behind me.

"Alright, Captain. What was that about?" He asked jerking his head back to where the Coach watched us both, scowling.

"In case you haven't noticed, we're not winning."

Erwin said nothing and I looked behind me to see him smirking at the girls watching from the sideline. I recognized a couple as our teams cheerleaders, including Petra. She waved shyly over at Erwin and he winked back.

"What's that about?" I asked him.

"Huh?"

"You and Petra?"

Erwin wiped the back of his neck with his hand. "Yeah, we're going to prom together." He said.

I turned back to hear Gunther yell as he slide tackled and ended up getting covered in mud.

"Levi, you okay with that right?"

I turned back, my expression stone as usual. "What?"

"I mean, me being with Petra. She did want to go to prom with you but I thought... you're taking Eren, and I do like her, man."

"I'm not going with Eren." Just speaking his name made my heart beat faster.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"But I thought you really liked him."

I do. More than really. More than anyone. More than anything. In fact no, I don't 'like' him. I love him. An emotion I'd never thought I'd feel and had usually scoffed at.

I imagined his teal eyes. Like gazing into the ocean's soul. I imagined his smile. That lit up his whole face and would light fires inside of me. I imagined his lips on mine. And how when we kissed and closed our eyes, the entire world would stop. And it would just be us. Alone. Just how we liked it.

"Levi?" Erwin pulled me out of my thought.

"What?"

"You really like him don't you?"

"What do you care, eyebrows."

"Coz your my man, shorty."

God, I loathed that nickname.