Chapter 8: Cafeteria Drama

(Jean's p.o.v)

I scrunched up my forehead and gripped my pencil tightly in frustration. Holy shit this was hard. Physics homework. Yeah, like I'm gonna need electromagnets in the future... I sighed, wanting to fling my books out of the window and then jump out myself. School hadn't even started yet...

"Jean Boy! You're going to be late!" Mum yelled from downstairs.

"I know!" I yelled back, shoving the unfinished homework in my bag and slinging it over my shoulder. Then I grabbed my phone and pushed it into my jacket pocket, turning to the door.

"JEAN BOY!"

"YES!"

"Hurry up!"

"For god's sake." I grunted, yanking the door open and walking down the stairs.

I was ready to walk out the door when mum stopped me, tidying up my jacket.

"You need a haircut." She remarked.

"You need a social life." I commented dryly.

She furrowed her eyebrows and gently smacked me on the chest.

"Watch your mouth, Jean Boy."

"I wish you wouldn't call me that." I muttered, walking out the door as mum shouted after me.

"Have fun at school!"

I walked past Costa. People talked about what had happened there a lot.

"That's the place where that boy got stabbed."

"Did he die?"

"Probably."

Some people actually believed that Eren had died. Idiots. Eren's a stubborn little brat. He was fine. Mikasa talked about him a lot. She was so worried about him. And she still felt guilty for not being there to protect him. I never said it to her but I'm so glad she hadn't been there. If one of those guys had touched her...

"Jean!"

I turned around to see Marco jogging up to join me.

"Hey."

"Hows it going?"

"Shit. I didn't finish Physics."

"Neither." He grinned.

"You looking forward to the lesson?" I joked.

"Not really. Oh well."

We walked to the school gates and I hesitated for a moment.

"What?" Marco asked me

"Just enjoying my last seconds of freedom before I enter Hell."

"Nice. Come on then. Don't want to be late for Mikasa." He smirked, his freckles glowing.

I punched him on the arm and we strolled into school. Late.

"Jean Kirstein."

I looked up, pulled out of a daydream. Oh shit...

"Whats the answer?"

I looked at the board blankly and saw tons of little scribbles of algebra. What the fuck...

"Uhhh." I began, trying to look like I was working it out.

"You weren't listening."

"No." I agreed.

"Pay attention." Miss Brzenska snapped.

I was seriously tempted to say no again but I bit my tongue and looked down at my book. I decided to just grit my teeth and get on with it.