Chapter 14: I'm going to make sure he goddamn knows it

(Levi's p.o.v)

The alluring and aromatic smell of warm coffee drifted through the open doors of Costa and I stepped inside, out of the bitter cold breezes. I never thought I'd set foot inside here again after what happened to Eren. It brought back memories. Some good some bad. Meeting Eren properly for the first time-good. The situation he was in-bad. In a table near the corner sat Mikasa and some blond kid I'd never seen before. Mikasa spotted me and quickly looked back into the depths of her chai latte in order to hid her anxious expression. I saw it though. My stomach muscles clenched as I thought about what she wanted to talk to me about; probably Eren. We hadn't spoken in a week and already I could feel my sanity slipping away. Life was so dull without Eren. It was like I hadn't realized how much a big part of my life he had become. It's true what they say;

You only realize what you've got when it's gone.

Gone...

Eren couldn't be gone...

"Levi." The blond kid said, offering a small gesture to the seat next to him and Mikasa.

"Do I know you?" I asked, no longer unable to thaw the ice in my voice.

"Armin Arlert." He introduced, his bright blue eyes shining like buttons under a mop of blond hair. "I'm Eren's best friend."

I tried to act casual but hearing someone else say his name made me my throat sting.

I nodded to him, and then Mikasa, before taking a seat and leaning back; watching the two curiously.

"So? What is it?"

Mikasa sighed and ran a hand through her ebony hair. "It's about Eren."

Surprise, surprise.

"You two haven't broke up have you?"

The question hit a nerve deep within me that I didn't know I had and I nearly choked on the thought of not being with Eren. Not being able to talk to him. To laugh with him. To kiss his soft lips...

"No." I answered.

"But you haven't spoken in a week?" Armin cut in.

I dropped my gaze.

"There's something you need to see."

I caught Mikasa's eye and she took out her phone, tapping in her password.

I raised a brow as she logged on to twitter and went to Eren's page. There was a video there, one that I didn't recognize...

"Don't freak out"

I gave her an odd look before looking down at her phone to watch the video.

When Mikasa put her phone down I tried to hide the emotion that was rushing through my body like a waterfall of acid. I tried to stop shaking. To not let the tears surface. But I knew they wouldn't come. Crying was not something I did often.

But most of all I tried to fight the urge to run straight to Eren and hold him. Hold him tight and tell him that he didn't care what anyone else thought and that I loved him. That everything was going to be OK. That I really wanted him more than anything.

I wanted to do it so bad.

"Levi?" Armin looked concerned.

"What?" I snapped.

Armin ignored my tone.

"You need to talk to Eren. Without you, he doesn't work properly... He... Needs you. More than ever."

I raised an eyebrow.

Armin looked pained and Mikasa bit her lip, still looking away; unable to meet my gaze.

"He started self harming. Again. He stopped when you were together but now..." Mikasa's voice broke.

My heart clenched and my blood burned.

No, please. Please don't do this to yourself again.

I looked Mikasa in the eye and spoke the next words with all the courage I could muster.

"I am in love with your brother and I'm going to make sure he goddamn knows it"

Behind Mikasa's dark makeup and anxious expression, I swear I saw her eyes sparkle.

"Thank you Levi. He needs to know you're on his side."

I nodded and began to get up, when I saw just ahead; a teenage boy with ash brown hair sitting back and laughing. Beside him was a boy with dark hair, freckles and a large grin on his face, typing on his phone.

"Mikasa?"

"Yes?"

"I thought you were meeting up with Jean today."

"How did you know that?"

"Some kid on the soccer team said he was going today to meet you in the park."

"Yeah, but something came up and he couldn't make it. Why?"

"Because he's sitting right over there."