A Crack in the Emotions

Taehyung unlocked the penthouse door and entered, exhaustion clinging to him like a second skin. He slipped into slippers, his tiredness urging him straight for bed. Cha Choo Hee and he went to the movies and grabbed a quick dinner. He texted Jungkook that he'd be home late and would come back on his own.

The hallway was dark as he entered. Was Jungkook not home or already asleep? Taehyung reached the living room, where a dark figure sat shrouded in shadows. A cigarette's faint orange glow and the scent of alcohol hung in the air. Taehyung froze, his heart hammering a frantic rhythm against his ribs. He could feel Jungkook's gaze, heavy and intense.

Slowly, cautiously, Taehyung approached. Even with the distance narrowing, a tense silence stretched between them. Jungkook extinguished his cigarette, his eyes unwavering. Taehyung felt exposed, a prey under a predator's watchful stare. His gaze had always held a certain power, a mix of something indecipherable that both tickled and burned him. It was different from superiors' stares, which demanded obedience. Jungkook's gaze felt like a silent judgment, a weight pressing down on him for some unknown mistake. As if he was disappointed in Taehyung.

Taehyung opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again. Words seemed to fail him. Blinking rapidly, he looked away, anywhere but at Jungkook. His eyes landed on the golden clock hung on the wall, 12:08 AM.

Taehyung met Jungkook's gaze, startled to find him so close. When had Jungkook bridged the distance between them? Towering over him, the height difference was undeniable. He, lean and wiry, felt like a fawn dwarfed by a big wolf. His breath hitched. Jungkook's hair, usually meticulously styled, was now down, and his eyes held a glint of anger that sent a shiver down Taehyung's spine.

"Where were you?" Jungkook's voice was a low rumble, a hot gust of air washing over Taehyung's face.

Taehyung stammered, momentarily caught in Jungkook's intense stare. "M-movie... with a friend," he mumbled, the last part barely a whisper. Yet, he knew Jungkook heard every word, every hitch in his breath, every frantic beat of his heart.

He didn't know why he lied, but he felt a sense of unease about mentioning manager Cha's name.

A chuckle escaped Jungkook's lips, a sound that usually held the warmth of a sweetness. But tonight, the sound was cold, humorless that chilled Taehyung's spine. It lacked the usual warmth. Shame flushed his cheeks, a bitter smile twisting his lips. Who would believe he'd been out with a friend?

A hand shot out, grabbing Taehyung's jaw with a bruising grip. His breath hitched as fear prickled his skin.

"Why?" Jungkook's voice was laced with anger, hot breath washing over Taehyung's face. The faint scent of alcohol clung to him. "I thought things were going well, but apparently not, huh?" He leaned closer, his lips almost brushing Taehyung's.

Taehyung shivered. "It wasn't going okay," Jungkook said, a frustrated shake of his head. Taehyung instinctively tried to push Jungkook's hand away, but the grip tightened.

"Why, Taehyung?" Jungkook's voice echoed in the silent living room. "I don't like it when you lie to me. Again."

Tears welled up in Taehyung's eyes. Again? Did that mean Jungkook knew about that lie, too?

"J-Jungkook... you're hurting me," Taehyung gasped, the words barely escaping his lips.

Jungkook's dark gaze flickered to Taehyung's tear-filled eyes. Taehyung went still. Abruptly, Jungkook released his grip and stepped back, turning back to him. He ran a hand through his hair, a pain groan escaping his lips. He was like a wounded animal. He was huffing, and sweat beaded up on his forehead. Agony contorted Jungkook's face.