Silent Tears

The rumors spread like wildfire.

As Taehyung walked through the school hallway, he felt a suffocating weight settle on him. Every passing student seemed to steal glances and hushed whispers, followed him like a shadow. A prickling unease crawled up his spine. Was there something on his back? A neon sign flashing his deepest insecurities?

Taehyung pushed open the classroom door, the usual pre-class chatter grinding to a halt. Unlike the friendly buzz he was accustomed to, an unsettling silence descended as he walked to his seat. Glances followed him, laced with a strange mixture of curiosity and something he couldn't quite decipher. It felt like navigating a gauntlet of whispers.

He sank into his desk, a knot of unease tightening in his gut. The sight of Jungkook's empty seat only intensified his growing anxiety. They weren't the closest in class, but Jungkook's absence created a tangible void.

Mr. Baek began his droning lecture, the words blurring into a monotonous background noise. Yet, Taehyung couldn't focus. His mind raced, desperately searching for the source of this sudden alienation. Every giggle, every pointed look seemed to confirm his growing fear - he was the target of some unwelcome gossip.

The classroom door creaked open, momentarily breaking the monotony. Relief washed over Taehyung as he saw Jungkook, Yejun, and Young Jae enter their usual easy camaraderie, a welcome sight. During lunch break, Yejun surprised him with an invitation to the rooftop, a place usually reserved for quiet escapes and shared secrets.

Trepidation coiled in Taehyung's stomach as he ascended the stairs. He found Jungkook, Yejun, and Young Jae huddled together, chatting in hushed whispers. The moment they saw him, the conversation ceased, replaced by a flurry of unspoken questions.

"Do you know what everyone's talking about?" Yejun finally asked, in serious tone.

Taehyung shook his head, his heart hammering a frantic rhythm against his ribs. He desperately searched Jungkook's face for answers for a hint of understanding.

"They're saying... they're saying you're gay," Young Jae blurted out, his voice laced with a mixture of confusion and disgust.

The world seemed to tilt on its axis. The word hung heavy in the air, a foreign concept Taehyung hadn't even begun to explore within himself. Yet, it felt wrong to be judged for something he didn't understand.

"I-I don't know why they're saying that," Taehyung stammered, his voice barely a whisper. Tears welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision. He had faced bullying before, but this felt different, a weapon to isolate and hurt him more.

"I'm definitely sure it's Minseok and his minions' work," Yejun said in an annoyed tone. "You better not be gay, Tete," Yejun said in a low, menacing voice.

A chill washed over Taehyung as Yejun's words hung heavy in the air. Yejun rarely resorted to threats, but the underlying disgust in his tone sent a jolt through Taehyung. Maybe the rumors had struck a nerve, a reflection of their own hidden prejudices.

Jungkook, ever the observant one, noticed the shift. He stepped in, his voice firm. "This is just Minseok and his minions' trying to mess with him again." Then Jungkook turned towards Yejun, "He said he's not, so let's drop it."

"Let's eat here today," Jungkook declared, his voice leaving no room for argument.

He reached out and gently took Taehyung's hand, the warmth of his touch grounding him. He led him towards a secluded corner of the rooftop. Jungkook pulled out a bag of honey butter chips, which was Taehyung's favorite, his usual playful demeanor returning.

He popped a chip into Taehyung's mouth, then leaned closer, a satisfied smirk playing on his lips. With another playful shove, he offered him another chip. The gesture, though seemingly lighthearted, felt laced with a silent assumption. As long as Taehyung wasn't "different," the rumors seemed to lose their sting for Jungkook.

Jungkook held a chip out to Taehyung, a playful glint in his eyes. Taehyung, however, barely managed a hesitant bite. Fear gnawed at him. What if he couldn't live up to Jungkook's expectations? The mere thought of Jungkook leaving him, like so many others in his life, was a suffocating weight on his chest. The last thing he wanted was a look of disgust from Jungkook's eyes. He desperately wanted to appear perfect, even if it meant suppressing his anxieties.

A surprised giggle erupted from Young Jae. "You look so gay, Jeon, feeding Tete like that!" he exclaimed, tears welling up from laughter.

Jungkook's playful smile vanished, replaced by a cold glare. His voice hardened as he spoke. "Don't say something so disgusting, Young Jae. Gays are sick." A beat of silence followed, the air thick with tension.

Jungkook, oblivious to the turmoil brewing within Taehyung, held out another chip. But Taehyung recoiled, the food suddenly repulsive in his hand. A wave of nausea washed over him. He clutched his clothes, the fabric a grounding force amidst the swirling emotions.

They walked to class side-by-side, which was new for Taehyung. But today, it felt uncomfortable instead of fun. They didn't talk much, and the silence made Taehyung feel even worse.

The bell's shrill ring felt like a lifeline. Taehyung scrambled to pack his bag, his movements frantic. He didn't wait for Jungkook, his only desire to escape the suffocating atmosphere and retreat to the solace of home.