Part 28

Aniket rested his head on the edge of end table. He was sitting on the floor with his back against the sofa. He casted a quick glance at clock. It was six in the morning. He hadn't slept a wink. The hurricane of emotions inside him kept the sleep away. He could still feel the sting on his body, but that was hardly his concern. His mind and heart was carrying more bruises than his body. It stung worse than the cane.

The vibration of his phone interrupted his train of thoughts. He was least interested in checking his phone, but it had been persistently vibrating for an hour now. He grabbed his phone annoyance and was about to swipe the red icon, but Shivangi's name flashing on the screen made him switch from red to green icon.

"Shivi?" He answered in a heartbeat.

There was silence from the other end.

"Mai thik hoon, Shivi." Aniket breathed out after a pause of good three minutes. "We are home."

"Are–are you really okay?"

Aniket was relieved to hear her voice. "I'm okay, Shivi. I'm sorry."

The apology replaced Shivangi's worry with anger. She was so worried for his well being that she had let herself forget what Aniket had done. Now that she knew he was back home, she could regain a grip on her emotions.

"You better have some answers ready, Aniket." She hissed and disconnected the call.

Aniket sighed. He would prefer her anger over silence. He got up from where he was sitting. He wanted to see Arnav once. Ashi had put her foot down and ordered them to go back to their rooms. Arnav's fever had considerably reduced. Since Aryan and Ayaansh were refusing to even rest, Ashi was forced to snub them. She hadn't said a word to him, but they never needed words. He knew her every word was for him more than the boys. He had silently left the room with the boys.

Making his way to Arnav's room, Aniket found Ashi caressing Arnav's hairs. She looked exhausted. He wanted to ask her to sleep off, but thought it would be better to let her be. She wouldn't be at peace until Arnav woke up. None of them would be. Before he could turn around and leave quietly, Ashi saw him at the door.

"Get some sleep, Bhabhi." Now that she had noticed him, he couldn't help it.

"I'll go and prepare breakfast." Ashi said mechanically. She caressed Arnav's hair once more and stood up to leave.

"It's only six, Bhabhi." Aniket insisted. "So jao thodi der,"

There was no reply. Aniket stopped her when she was about to walk past him. She didn't look at him. Aniket turned her around to face him. "Baat bhi nhi karogi?"

Anger flickered in Ashi's eyes. She shrugged away Aniket's hands and tried to leave, but Aniket held her hands again.

"Gussa ho toh kar lo, Bhabhi." Aniket spoke softly. "I'm sorry..."

When Ashi pulled away from his hold again, Aniket had to let go. She was already upset, he didn't want to add on to her troubles. Ashi walked away. She was extremely upset with Aniket. He had blatantly lied and endangered his own life. Nothing justified his actions in her book. But she also knew Aniket must be hurting as well. She didn't want to hurt him more in her anger. She needed time to calm down.

Aniket sighed and went to sit beside Arnav. He reached for Arnav's forehead. It was still warm, but not burning up. He reached for Arnav's hand. Tears gathered in his eyes. As the queitude of circumstances had settled down, the realisation was sinking in slowly and steadily.

They were siblings. Biological brothers.

The truth was overwhelming for his heart. Not that it had changed anything. Biologically related or not, they were each other's family. No truth could alter that truth of their existence. Arnav was the only father he had known. Blood was not even the last factor to determine their relationship. But it didn't hurt to know that the person he loved with his entire being was his sibling. His eyes misted over.