33

"Let's go for breakfast, and my uncle will meet us there," Tony suggested.

Neither Rue nor Xana had the energy to go out. Rue was afraid of people whispering behind her. Xana was afraid of facing her father.

"I am never going out again," Rue said, and Xana seconded the opinion.

"It is an unfortunate incident that happened. It will pass, but for that to happen, we must accept what comes with it. And I will be here for you," Tony repeated how he wasn't going to leave her side.

"I wish we could skip to that part where it gets better," Xana said.

"I will take a quick shower, and then we walk out with our heads held high and mute the noises," Tony said, walking away.

Xana slammed back with a loud sigh. "So, are you and Tony a thing?" she asked her friend.

Rue shook her head, "I have always rejected him, and now that I am in a bad situation to accept his advances, it is morbid to do so," she confessed.

"It is Tony. He would move earth and heaven for you."

"And that is why I shouldn't give false hope," Rue said.

"Tony can handle himself," Xana said, though Rue could tell the recent happenings had distraught her.

"I am sorry about everything," Rue apologized.

"I am more sorry for what he did. I love my father. It is sad that he will be put away, but if that is what makes him a better man, then I am hopeful," Xana's head fell as she spoke.

The girls were interrupted by Tony walking in. He was dripping water, with Rue's small towel hanging on his waist.

"I forgot to take my clothes first. Could you please grab them for me from my car?" he said, handing his keys to Xana.

She obliged, taking the keys and leaving. Rue all of a sudden felt nervous around him. She looked everywhere except him. The half-naked Tony in her apartment wasn't the same as the fully dressed Tony she knew. He looked like he could be the cover of a steamy romance novel written by a retired schoolteacher.

"Are you okay?" Tony asked.

"I am fine..." she hissed.

"Are you sure?" he insisted, and it took Rue a while to realize he was taunting her. Even with that realization, Rue didn't give him the satisfaction he wanted. She didn't turn to look at him.

She was relieved when Xana came back with a pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

"What did I miss?" Xana was quick to pick up on the tension.

"Nothing, just Rue afraid of looking at torsos," Tony said, taking his clothes from Xana's extended hand.

"Who knew he was packing that much?" Xana said once Tony had left to dress.

"I have seen better," she lied, and saw the grimace on Xana's face, realizing that some jokes were better left unsaid because she had slept with her father. It was unfortunate how the entire incident had altered some aspects of their friendships.

An hour later, the trio had arrived at Mama's Café. It was a popular joint known for its herbal tea and smoothies. Regret was evident on their faces when they walked in. The small cozy place was filled with suburban wives whose Instagram posts were filled with tags of healthy living and organic this and that.

"We can find another place," Tony suggested.

"We walk with our heads high," Rue reminded him of his words.

As they kept walking to an empty spot, it dawned on them that their worries were unfounded, since none of the people inside the Café cared for their presence.

The spot they found was at the furthest corner, shielding them but also offering them the advantage of seeing whoever walked in.

Tony scanned the barcode on the table and made their orders.

Rue settled for green tea alone, Tony for chamomile tea with crackers, and Xana asked for a smoothie.

Rue's phone rang, and she realized it was her supervisor. She had not been to work for days, and her mourning period given to her had lapsed.

She didn't answer. She knew that they would just threaten her and not fire her. The supermarket was having a high employee turnover and was desperate. It gave her time to think of what to do next.

Their orders arrived, and a few minutes later, she recognized Tony's uncle, and with him was a face that was too familiar to Rue.

"This tastes like shit," Xana complained, lost in her own world, while Rue's eyes remained fixed on the woman.

Jim stood beside Tony, his eyes unkind on Rue. It was like he didn't believe she was innocent.

"It is an odd place you chose," Jim said to Tony.

"It is called confusing the enemies," Tony smiled.

"I think I know you," Xana said to the woman with Jim.

"She is the one who bought my father's house," Rue told Xana.

Xana shook her head, "I have met you before," Xana was convinced of her own conviction.

"How about I sit, and I will tell you where we met," she said, and Xana shifted to the other empty seat.

Every time Rue raised her head, she found Jim glaring at her, and she grew tired of his attitude.

"Do you have a problem with me?" she asked.

"Yes, I do," Jim agreed. "You are not good enough for my nephew," he stated.

"Uncle Jim!" Tony tried to silence him.

"I didn raise him, and I will not let him be used by a gold-digger," he spat.

"I am not a gold digger, and if it is because of those videos, I am the victim."

He rolled his eyes, "The only crime in that is that you were recorded, but you consented and asked for it. And now you want my nephew to be your next victim."

Rue pushed her chair forcefully, "Goodbye, Tony," she said, gathering her belongings.

"Don't leave yet," the other woman said.

"I can't share a table with him," Rue pointed at Jim.

"This is not about him," she replied implying Jim.

"Then what is it about?" Rue asked impatiently.

"My sister..." she paused and took a deep breath. "I think William Fox killed her."