Chapter 74 ↣ What do you need?

a/n trigger warning: explicit content in last third of the chapter. feel free to skip <3

"Love should feel secure but wild."

r.h. Sin

↣ ↢

BEFORE

Kathryn has worked this shift for two months now. It starts at the very buttcrack of dawn, but she doesn't mind. By now Kathryn has a good grasp of who all the regulars are. About half of them are retired marines who come in every morning to have coffee together. The other half are poor hungover bastards that order the greasiest thing on the menu. Nowhere in that equation is there a little girl with raven hair.

The bell above the door rings, causing the hungover people to groan. Kathryn looks and sees the girl as mentioned above. She practically floats to an empty stool at the counter and looks over at Kathryn with wide dark eyes.

Kathryn walks up to her and asks, "Can I get you something?"

"I don't have any money. It's very kind of you to ask though," the little girl replies, her voice extremely articulate for someone her age.

Kathryn's stomach begins to twist, and she takes a breath. She has no evidence of what she suspects. "What's your name?"

"Ava Marie Hart."

Kathryn holds out her hand. "Kathryn Lyn Johnson."

Ava wraps her tiny hand around Kathryn's. "It's a pleasure, Miss."

"Here." Kathryn slides a muffin in front of Ava. "It's on me."

Ava stares at the muffin for the longest time before shaking her head. "Oh no, Miss, I couldn't impose."

"You're not imposing," Kathryn assures. She then goes and pours the marines another round of coffee. When she turns to face the counter again, Ava is gone, and the muffin remains.

It takes a month of Ava coming in every morning, and Kathryn sliding a muffin in front of her before she finally accepts.

"I've never had a muffin," Ava says as she peels the paper off.

Kathryn takes note of how skinny the girl's wrists are as her sleeve falls to her elbow. "If you like that, there are all different kinds," Kathryn says. "Are you in school around here?"

Ava nods, crumbs falling to her plate. "I'm in third grade. My bus comes just down the road."

"Do you like school?"

"I love school, Miss."

Kathryn smiles. "I loved school, too. You know you could call me Kathryn, right?"

Ava cocks her head, and for a second Kathryn thinks she might attempt the word, but Ava takes another bite of her muffin. It takes another month before Ava says her name.

↣ ↢

AFTER

Kathryn

The very second I woke up, a sense of unease draped itself around me. Daryl wasn't beside me. I told myself he was just outside–just on watch like he should be. I sat up slowly, looking around at my sleeping group. I forced myself to get up slowly–to stop by Judith's crib. Then I walked out onto the porch.

Daryl's eyes immediately found mine. He stood leaning against the house. The sun was just rising. Its orange rays cut through the slight wisps of fog. I put myself at his right side, and he leaned in, some of his weight resting against me.