16: obsessed

With the inter-college sports meet happening tomorrow, it would have been really bad if Coach came to know Vijay was distracted

With the inter-college sports meet happening tomorrow, it would have been really bad if Coach came to know Vijay was distracted. But to Vijay's surprise, he was focused and he even clocked in an extra thirty minutes. Training put him in a good mood and he felt like his mind was clearer than last night. He was sure he was going to meet Nila and apologise. He would say whatever he had on his mind and earn her forgiveness. He would fix it.

Vijay's conviction was intact as he stood on the bus, one hand holding the handle above his head and the other tapping against his thigh. Nila's stop was close. As the bus slowed, he searched for Nila and found her in a sunset orange and pink printed kurta and jeans. Her hair was washed, soft strands sliding off her claw clip and framing her face unevenly. Vijay was sure she didn't know how fucking beautiful she was or how the men in the bikes turned their heads to look at her while they rode past the bus stop.

She stood there, chewing on her lips and scraping the nail paint on her index finger with the nail of her thumb as she studied the crowd on the bus cautiously. When the bus halted, she took a step forward but no more. Wearily, she watched the crowd push through into the entryway. Gone was the competitive Nila who fought to get into the bus first, braving the scowls and glares of others. Gone was the Nila who wasn't phased by crowded buses. Her shoulders dropped in dejection and she turned around, pulling out her phone.

Vijay didn't need her to speak to know what was going on in her mind. He quickly got off the bus, ignoring someone yelling at him for knocking them over. His phone vibrated against his thigh and he knew it was Nila's text. He didn't open it. Vijay knew what it said. He simply went and tapped her shoulders, making her turn around.

"Vijay?" she breathed out. When the bus doors groaned shut, her eyes widened. "You should go!"

He leaned against the steel seats and crossed his ankles. "Don't insult me, silver. I'm not leaving you here."

"I'm taking an auto to college," she said, looking down. As if she felt the need to explain herself, she continued. "I-I tried. I thought I could do it. It's always like this for a few days but I thought this time it will be different because—"

"I'm there?"

She nodded meekly. "I'm sorry. I need time. Until then, I'll take an auto to and fro. You don't have to come with me."

Vijay faced her, frustration tensing his jawline as he heard her apologize. He stepped closer to her. "Listen, silver. If you apologise again for something you don't need to be sorry for, I'm going to be very mad at you. No, it's going to make me more disappointed than mad actually." Nila opened her mouth but Vijay cut her off. "And I'm going to come with you everyday, drop you in your college and back home. Okay?"

"Vijay—"

"I won't do it if I don't want to do it. I want to, silver. Let me."

She sighed and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Fine. You won't listen to me anyway."