♔20. LIMITS

"In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between them, there are doors

"In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between them, there are doors."― William Blake

B r i e l l e W i n t e r s

PEOPLE. OBSERVING PEOPLE, my life has always been about observing people. And as I laid in bed, I observed Legend. His rather lovely masculine scent engulfed my senses and his strong arms wrapped around my waist firmly. His brows twitched subtly in his sleep and his low snores vibrated in my ears.

The Alpha King, a man who represented all things bold and unyielding seemed so vulnerable in this moment of rest.

I loved it, really.

It was a shameless pleasure of mine, to be the only being to witness him like this and falling so unexpectedly, so fast was one of the most intense things I have ever experienced.

Legend has always told me he knew my body well now, but he had no idea how well I now knew him—how his scent was a written code that altered my brain chemistry. I couldn't read his mind as well as he seemed to have the ability to read mine but his whole body was not a foreign territory to me anymore.

I, Brielle Winters, have always been a woman of humble beginnings who lived under a practical scope but as I laid here in this bed with the most powerful man in all of Elefthería, I have come to realize once again how drastically my life has changed in such a short period of time.

As I ran my finger across his thick brows and the ridge of his nose as he slept, I reminisced in my head at my time back at the city with my small studio apartment and working at Jusco Times. The old smells of the work's atmosphere, my old coworkers, my old friends...

AnnaBeth.

I got up slowly from the bed trying my best not to wake up the large sleeping man next to me. I blushed at the sight of my bra and panties along with the rest of my clothes scattered across his bedroom floor.

I reached for my phone, the weight of guilt settling heavy in my chest as I contemplated how long it had been since I last spoke to my best friend. Her message, sent after the news of the incident at Icebreaker's went public, had been unanswered for far too long. But my mind had been on autopilot ever since then and I had a narrow scope of things I could handle at once. I was still processing everything.

The phone rang. Once. Twice...

"Hello,"

I smiled softly at my best friend's voice I have not heard in so long.

"...Hey." I said reluctantly. "I know it's been a while."

I could hear Annabeth scoff on the other end of the phone. "That's one way to put it."

Silence.

"Bri, I don't get it. I had to hear from Mandy of all people about how you were doing! I am your best friend. You couldn't call me back? You completely shut me out."