EIGHTEEN - LET'S GO HOME

Alora was sitting in the back row between Felix and Theo, both of them were holding one of her hands. In other circumstances someone would be maybe confused about the close proximity of the quiet Hufflepuff and the mysterious Slytherin but nobody paid them much attention. It was the day of Dumbledore's funeral. It was already July but McGonagall let the students who wanted to attend the funeral in the castle for a bit longer than usual.

Alora didn't see Draco or hear from him for a whole week. She didn't know what exactly happened that night but she could still remember how frightened she felt. Not just because there were Death Eaters running around Hogwarts but she was rather worried about him. All she could do was sit hidden in that abandoned classroom with Theo's arms tightly wrapped around her, listening to the terrifying sounds and do nothing...breaking glass, wicked laughter, screams of terror...

It turned out that Harry was there, but he didn't want to talk about it with anybody. But one thing was clear. Draco wasn't the one who killed the headmaster. It was Snape.

She was sad that Dumbledore was dead. Of course she was. She knew him for almost six years but as he told her, he was dying anyway and his death was rather liberation. As she was looking at the white tombstone she couldn't help but wonder if he planned this the whole time. If he for whatever reason wanted Snape to be the one who killed him in the end and that was the reason why he wanted her to persuade Draco to trust him, to let him help. But she didn't know why.

After the funeral ended they started their way back towards the castle. It was almost time to go home but for the first time in six years she wasn't ready. She felt like if she would leave she would be leaving not only Hogwarts but her relationship behind. The uncertainty of the future was killing her. But one thing was clear, nothing would be the same after this.

She walked slowly, feeling someone's hand on her back. It was always like this last week. She was never alone, the three boys were guarding her like the more precious and fragile treasure. Alora knew it was because they made a promise to Draco to protect her. And she was okay with it. She was lost in her thoughts all the time anyway. Just like now.

Neither Theo or Blaise have any info about Draco and that scared her. Was he tortured? Punished for his failure? What if he was dead?

"Alora!" Blaise's almost happy voice pulled her out of her head.

"What is it, Blaise?" Alora asked absently, playing with the Draco's snake ring that she was wearing on her right thumb. It was too big for her dainty fingers, she was constantly scared to lose it as she lost Draco. She knew she could adjust the size with one simple spell but she didn't want to change it.

"I have really interesting news from my mother," he was grinding at her. "Lucius and a few others escaped from Azkaban yesterday."

"And?" Alora looked at him, confused.

"And? AND?! It is really hard to escape from that prison. They had to have help from outside. You-Know-Who had to help them! And don't you think if he wanted to punish Draco he would never help his father or let him out?"

"What if he wanted him out just to kill him afterward?" She asked, still in denial.

"He would probably kill him in Azkaban and blame it on the Dementors. Why waste his time to get him out?"

Alora looked at her friend hopefully. Could he be right? Could this be a form of reward for Draco for his contributions to Dumbledore's death?

"Blaise is right, Al!" Theo was frantically nodding.

"So you really think that he is okay?"

"I know it," Blaise smiled at her.

Alora gave him a small smile. The first one she was able to make since the day at the Astronomy tower. Now she at least had hope. Hope that he is alive and well and they could meet again one day.